Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doxycycline - did it help you? Please share, thanks :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline - did it help you? Please share, thanks :)

Hi everyone, sorry if there is a thread on this already.

I've been diagnosed with mgd and I now don't think I have aqueous tear deficiency (still confused). I've been put on oral doxycycline for a year and told to do a warm compress twice a day.

If you could share how doxycycline worked for you id really appreciate it, did it help and how long were you put on it for?

Thanks

Cath x
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

I've always wondered the accuracy of a Schirmer's test when you have MGD. If the aqueous layer evaporates, isn't it logical after all, to have a low Schirmer?

For Doxy, for sure, it helps. When this nightmare started in may I couldn't open my eyes more than 1 hour a day... But I'm far from where I want to be. Been on it for 3 months straight, and now will have to do one month on/one off (just stopped yesterday and really scared btw)

Comment

I wonder if I have MGD. Cathy, were you only diagnosed lately? My lipid layer is low, TBUT down to 3, and schirmer is 3 in the bad eye. Hhhmmm. I hate how dry eye diagnosis are so unscientific. It's just guess work.

Comment

Schirmer's test is notoriously unreliable.
        Everyone knows that except opthalmologists.
        Osmolarity testing is much more accurate.

Comment

DEL : I think TBUT is more reliable
          Patrick, is osmolarity a symptom of aqueous deficiency only? that's not what I've read :/

Comment

Only a raised osmolarity indicates dry eye.
            It is the salt content or any solid particles in the watery part of the tears.
            Anything under 290 osmo/l is considered in the normal range.
            From 290 to 310/315-ish is moderate dry eye and anything above these figures is more severe dry eye.

I guess both aqueous deficient tear production as well as quick evaporation due to mgd can cause raised osmolarity. In most cases its probably a little of both.

Comment

Do you know where to test it in Europe? Is it through meibography or something else?

Comment

It's a new gadget from TearLab http://www.tearlab.com/products/doctors/productinfo.htm so some docs will have bought it. 'Eyes feeling better' is the best test!
                Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Since you're in france try les quinze-vingts à paris.
                  Prof christophe baudouin,a dry eye researcher, is the head of the ophthalmology departement there.

Comment

I have had this done. (Tearlab)

Much easier on the eyes than the Schirmer test.

Comment

Patrick : Im in the process to get an appointment with him, easier said than done ...!

Comment

Thanks for responses guys I've been put on it for year, I'm so hoping it helps, the ophthalmologist I saw wanes to give this a chance before moving on to plugs and cycosplorine, how long would you give the doxycycline to work? I was thinking I'd give it until nov and if still having trouble and aggravated pinguecula is ask for a referral because it's about a 4 month wait at the moment.

Hi Dl, hope you're ok, you really may well have mgd, I was only diagnosed last week and it was such a relief to be honest, I've seen two oph, one in February and one in May and neither diagnosed me properly, the former did not even give a dry eye diagnoses and the second said I had an unstable tear film, I even wrote to him and asked if I had mgd and he wrote back saying I do not have mgd, I am going to send him the letter I receive from the last oph I saw as he did not look at my meibomian glands properly, he didn't even flip the upper kids over. The symptoms had are pin prick feeling in eye lids, sometimes a feeling of pressure pushing my eyes forward, the usual grittiness, unable to keep my eyes open in certain environments like in pubs or dry atmosphere, photpohobia and blurred vision. I'd definitely ask for second opinion if your eyes are not improving, I read a study and it said mgd is leading cause of dry eye yet it is most unrecognised disease in ophalmic care http://www.aao.org/publications/eyen...derForPrint=1&

My tbut in May was 3 and 4 and my schirmer was low, I never got an exact amount unfortunately. When I went last week I did not note my tbut again, kicking myself but hopefully It will be in the letter I receive from them. I think I've had mgd for several years but in the last six months 8 months it's has go considerably worse which is what happens when it is left untreated. What have you been diagnosed with Dl if you don't mind me asking?

Hi
                        Originally posted by DryLondoner View Post
                        I wonder if I have MGD. Cathy, were you only diagnosed lately? My lipid layer is low, TBUT down to 3, and schirmer is 3 in the bad eye. Hhhmmm. I hate how dry eye diagnosis are so unscientific. It's just guess work.
                        27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Working...
                        X