Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened when you stopped taking doxycycline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened when you stopped taking doxycycline?

Hi all, I was just wondering if you could give me a little advice please. I have been taking 50mg doxycycline for 6months now (ophthalmologist advised I took it for 6-9). I am really scared that when I stop taking it the quality of my oil will deteriorate again, Im convinced the re are bacteria in my meibomian glands. I got bottom plugs last week and they are helping. Last night I forgot to take my doxy and about 12pm today my right eye started become really uncomfortable like the oil that was coming out was of bad quality, I took my doxy and about 30mins later my eye improved, Im really hoping it was just a coincidence as I dont want to take doxy for the rest of my life.

Has anyone elses eyes gone bad again after they stopped taking doxycycline? Has anyone took doxycycline for longer than 6 months?

I'd appreciate hearing about anyones experience taking doxy for mgd/posterior blepharitis.

Thank you

Cath x
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

I had to stop last week. My GP thought I could use a break after more than a year of continuous use.
    I was worried too. But so far, the quality of my meibum is still very good. I'm on Restasis though, so that may contribute.

However, the last time I went off doxy (my dermatologist wanted me to switch to tetracycline), my meibum quickly deteriorated and I was on Restasis too.
    But my eyes were a bit worse back then. Maybe the inflammation is now better kept in check.

You'll have to see for yourself. It really depends in my experience.

Doxy normally doesn't work on such short notice. For some people it can take months before the effects fully start to show.
    I'm guessing it's a coincidence.

Comment

I agree with Santaklauzz that missing a dose of doxycycline is unlikely to have a direct effect. I have been taking 100 mg a day for a long time (along with other things, of course). At one point I thought it might be bothering my stomach, so I stopped taking the pills. Over the course of several weeks, or maybe it was a month or longer, the dry eye got a lot worse. My doctor said that's why I relapsed, so I started taking it again and did see an improvement. I don't think it was the cause of my stomach troubles, by the way.

Comment

Thank you to both of you for replying, its so worrying, I'm really anxious about stopping it, i'll have been on 7 months middle of March, ophthalomologist said take it for 6-9 months, she must have said this long for a reason so will stick with it. Im on 50mg at the moment Im going to try and drop this down to 20mg next month. Thanks again
        27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

I have been taking doxycycline 100 mg for 2 years with no adverse effects. My eye doctor herself takes 50 mg daily for Rosacea. My primary care physician was not concerned about my taking the doxy in this amount long term either.

Comment

Working...
          X