Experiences on doxycycline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences on doxycycline?

Hi all, I want to try doxycycline but I've been discouraged with talk of side effects like pressure on the brain, what are peoples experiences on this drug like?
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Hi justbob,
    I have only one side effect from doxy-my forehead looks like I have acne. I think this is because doxy kills good microorganisms in stomach. I took 100 mg once a day first month, and now I've been on 50 mg daily for 2 months

Comment

I have been on low dose doxy. The doctor advised me to take it in the morning and at night to eat yougurt or take a probiotic. He said he helped with getting oils to the eye and control the bleph. I didn't notice much difference but he said the bleph was better. The dose was low so I went for it. There is a lot of info here on it and personally I think it's one of those things one has to try so as to find out if it helps them.

Comment

I've been on 20 mg for almost a year and a half. I haven't noticed great symptom reduction, but my doctor says I'm pretty stable. Haven't noticed headache or stomach issues, like some mention, but it could be lower doses have lower side effects.

Comment

So is 200mg starting dose really high? No advice about yougurt/probiotic either. Stomach issues would be a problem considering I'm already loaded on omega 3s etc.

Comment

Hi Bob, I started on 100mg for first 2 months and have been on 50mg for last 7 months, I am going to drop this down to 20mg next month. I think it's ok to start on a high dose like 200mg because you will notice a difference hopefully, I noticed a difference after 3 days, I was able to stop using drops after a month but I have do to a lot of lid hygiene with tea tree, I think my problem was definitely demodex and bacteria in glands, so if this is part of your problem too, I think doxy really could help. Doxy helps thin meibum and kills bacteria. My lower lids are in a bad way alot of them have atophied from all the inflammation (read in a journal article it takes 36 months for gland atrophy to happen), I wish someone had given me doxy sooner and maybe I wouldnt be in the mess im in now. I have been taking omega three for a year now and have had no stomach issue taking doxy, a bit of throat irritation but that compared to dry is a walk in the park. I take a probiotic supplement now too, the ophthalmologists forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to do this.
            Best wishes

Cath

Originally posted by justbob View Post
            So is 200mg starting dose really high? No advice about yougurt/probiotic either. Stomach issues would be a problem considering I'm already loaded on omega 3s etc.
            27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

I was happy my doctor had mentioned the probiotic as someone close to me almost died from too much antibiotics. So I am a little paranoid now. I do have stomach issues but it's something I would have done anyway. But just to have him mention it gave me more faith in him. Not that it was a high dosage like my friend got. I see him 3 or 4 times a years and I will have to say he tries at least one new thing a year to help me. He has me on 50mg. Changed over to minoxilin(spelling) now instead of doxy. Same dosage.

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
                Hi Bob, I started on 100mg for first 2 months and have been on 50mg for last 7 months, I am going to drop this down to 20mg next month. I think it's ok to start on a high dose like 200mg because you will notice a difference hopefully, I noticed a difference after 3 days,
                I've only got prescription for 2 months in total (200 for 2 weeks, then 100 for 6 weeks), is that weird?

I was able to stop using drops after a month but I have do to a lot of lid hygiene with tea tree, I think my problem was definitely demodex and bacteria in glands, so if this is part of your problem too, I think doxy really could help. Doxy helps thin meibum and kills bacteria.
                I'm not using lid hygiene, I don't know what's safe to use that won't irritate my eyes as I still have an inflammation issue, I'm also not allowed to rub my top eyelid for same reason

Do you know if it's possible to have a mite problem but only have MGD not full bleph? I don't actually have visible crusting.

My lower lids are in a bad way alot of them have atophied from all the inflammation (read in a journal article it takes 36 months for gland atrophy to happen),
                Were your glands blocked or just inflamed and underperforming? My doc said takes decades with full blepharitis, but I think he's talking out of his backside.

I wish someone had given me doxy sooner and maybe I wouldnt be in the mess im in now. I have been taking omega three for a year now and have had no stomach issue taking doxy, a bit of throat irritation but that compared to dry is a walk in the park. I take a probiotic supplement now too, the ophthalmologists forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to do this.
                I'm taking a lot of omega 3 now and I think it's upsetting my stomach alone.

Comment

My doctor suggested antibiotics but I am honestly really against the use of them due to all of the mutated bugs out there already. Can a dilute tea tree solution or ACV solution help with bleph? Has anyone tried natural remedies? Im not even sure I have it but I do have one spot on my lower lids that gets itchy and flaky and then sometimes a few of the eyelashes fall out. Always in the same spot I really want to avoid antibiotics if possible. Any natural option suggestions appreciated. I take Omega 3 (3000 mg/day) and an NAC supplement to help with respiratory issues that I have due to allergies and I know that is supposed to help with dry eye too.

Comment

Doxycycline caused me to have dermatographia. It did not start until I had been on it 30 days, and when I stopped taking it, it took weeks for the hives to go away. I itched all over my entire body 24/7. It was awful

Comment

Originally posted by willow26 View Post
                      Doxycycline caused me to have dermatographia. It did not start until I had been on it 30 days, and when I stopped taking it, it took weeks for the hives to go away. I itched all over my entire body 24/7. It was awful
                      What dose were you on?

Comment

no idea sorry.

Comment

Working...
                        X