Advice for stomach problem on doxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for stomach problem on doxy

Been on doxy for about a month now, started to get discomfort and pain in stomach and my gp put me on omeprazole. Reading side effects, other reports and how my eyes felt over last few days I suspect it may be bad for my eyes. As far as I can tell it's common problem with anti-acid meds, does anyone know of one that is eye safe? I'll ask my gp for that instead of leaving him to pick one at random!
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

This is what I do. I take my doxy at breakfast with food. Every night I either have yogurt or I take a probiotic. Before I go to bed I take omeprazole. I have stomach problems and don't know if it will help you I can only tell you what works for me.

Comment

I also take a probiotic. I don't know if what you do will help now I have a problem or if were taking same dosage. Do you think omeprazole causes you any problems with your eyes such as increased dryness or inflammation?

Comment

Talked to my doctor, he was completely dismissive it could cause problems, typical.

Comment

I have heard if they are frozen they make it to the small intestine before dissolving.

Comment

I must use omeprazole anyway - separate issue.

I use minocycline as an alternative to doxy; it is slow release so easier on what is already a sensitive stomach.

I also wondered if omeprazole was drying my eyes even more - I didn't take it for a while and my eyes didn't feel any better so I'm back on it. A probiotic is a good idea.

Comment

What is your dosage? I am on doxy but a low dosage (20mg), and no stomach issues to report. My doctors say 20mg is pretty much all that is needed to counter inflammation. Would a lower dosage be an option?

Comment

I know Doxy can cause reflux...it happened to me many times. But I want to add something else to think about here. Stomach lowering drugs have a nasty side to them. They deplete your body of essential nutrients, especially those nutrients required for eye health and 'mental' health. We need stomach acid to absorb nutrients in food, and to sterilize food. Reflux is actually caused from "low" stomach acid, rather than too much of it.

Once you know what's causing the reflux you can do something about it. Whilst a doctor may tell you it's from a weak lower esophageal sphincter, that's only an "effect" of something else.

Rather, take Digestive enzymes, soothe the stomach lining with slippery elm, licorice root, manuka honey, aloe vera and an upper digestive probiotic and go on Zinc carnosine. These will start to bring the system into balance again and normalize gut function. Reflux will thus diminish.

Comment

I use a slow release 40mg doxy called Apprilon.

Comment

Minocycline dosage 100mg daily
                    Omeprazole 20mg daily

I had to have surgery to fix hiatus hernia several years ago; drugs hadn't helped and it was a measure of last resort. I still have take omeprazole because I have an inflamed stomach lining. That, combined with diet and lifestyle is my way of managing it. Not ideal but everything seems to be compromise, trial and error etc.
                    Last edited by irish eyes; 29-May-2015, 10:36. Reason: Typo.

Comment

I drink 8 oz. of water then take the doxy (100 MG) then drink another 8 oz. of water. Do not lie down after taking the doxy. You may take it with food, also. Have been taking doxy for over two years with no stomach problems.

Comment

Thanks for replying everyone.

Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
                        What is your dosage? I am on doxy but a low dosage (20mg), and no stomach issues to report. My doctors say 20mg is pretty much all that is needed to counter inflammation. Would a lower dosage be an option?
                        100mg, not making significant progress so I don't know yet.

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                        I know Doxy can cause reflux...it happened to me many times. But I want to add something else to think about here. Stomach lowering drugs have a nasty side to them. They deplete your body of essential nutrients, especially those nutrients required for eye health and 'mental' health. We need stomach acid to absorb nutrients in food, and to sterilize food. Reflux is actually caused from "low" stomach acid, rather than too much of it.
                        I get pressure/pain in stomach (typically at nigh when stomach is empty long after taking doxy), surely that's caused by more acid? or stomach lining being irritated by drug? OTC antacids have limited effectiveness.

Once you know what's causing the reflux you can do something about it. Whilst a doctor may tell you it's from a weak lower esophageal sphincter, that's only an "effect" of something else.
                        Just drugs I'm taking I think.

Rather, take Digestive enzymes, soothe the stomach lining with slippery elm, licorice root, manuka honey, aloe vera and an upper digestive probiotic and go on Zinc carnosine. These will start to bring the system into balance again and normalize gut function. Reflux will thus diminish.
                        That's quite a long list, not sure which are appropriate for me? I already take probiotic. I'll see what doc says tommorow.

Originally posted by Hope4Johni View Post
                        I drink 8 oz. of water then take the doxy (100 MG) then drink another 8 oz. of water. Do not lie down after taking the doxy. You may take it with food, also. Have been taking doxy for over two years with no stomach problems.
                        Am making sure I drink a lot when I take it now but it doesn't seem to be working, think stomach is already irritated maybe?

Comment

I took doxy for 6 weeks and it helped a bit, but I stopped because of digestion issues. A couple of months later I wanted to try it again and this time I drank a small glass of kombucha (a probiotic that tastes very good) every day, and that did the trick for me. I no longer take doxy because I had probing three months ago and it seemed to have "cured" my MGD, at least temporarily.

Comment

Working...
                          X