This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracea: new doxycycline formula

Just caught a TV ad for a new product approved by FDA for treatment of papules and pustules of rosacea. It is expressly, however, not yet deemed effective for the "redness" of rosacea, (which is often the result of telangiectasia, or the expansion of capillaries that we sometimes see on the face and eyelid margins). The Oracea formula is a relatively low-dose capsule containing both regular and slow-release doxycycline, for a total of about 40 mg, taken once daily for facial rosacea.

Wanted to flag this for those who have had success in the treatment of MGD and/or ocular rosacea with doxycycline here, because this formulation might turn out to be a good bang for the buck (not financially, perhaps, but in terms of the possibility that one could take a relatively low dose of this antibiotic, and get a more-than-usual effect because of its time-release component).

If anyone tries this new product for MGD and/or ocular rosacea, I would be very interested in reading about experiences with it, here.

I haven't been on doxycycline for quite a few years, now, and do not plan to return to it, but I know how helpful this medication has been for some here at DEZ, and am hopeful that Oracea may possibly present a new option for eye docs to try, in appropriate cases.
    <Doggedly Determined>

Rojzen,

Thank you so much for the info. Any idea how much is a month supply of oracea?

George

Comment

I was on Oracea for more than a month and it did absolutely nothing for me. i was diagnosed with ocular rosacea but I have began to believe it is ocular allergies that cause my inflammation.

Personally, I have been paying much more attention to my environment and what I eat and use everyday.

After I stopped using irish Spring soap and switched to Cetaphil, started dusting my room, and keeping my face clean and not touching my eyes as much my symptoms got better. Additionaly, I began using pataday, and my eyes become extremely white.

I am going to continue to pursue the allergic route to see if I am truly hyper allergic and I will get to the bottom of this.
      Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

I switched from 50mg of doxy 2x a day, to the 1 x a day oracea. My eyes hurt a lot the first two days after the switch. Today is day three, and I feel much much better. I'll let you know how it goes. This is new for my eye doctors (I have several I see at a university hospital)... I pretty much brought it to their attention as a possible treatment.

I have gone around the 2nd opinion circuit quite a bit, and some eye doctors don't even think that doxycyline is worthwhile.

All I have to say is that the difference between doxy and no-doxy is remarkable for my own situation. While on doxy I can actually make it through the day without putting preservative free drops in every 15 minutes. I hope this day three sucess with oracea continues.

BTW: with my insurance Oracea cost me $25 for 30 pills.

Comment

I was on doxy for 6 weeks but hated it due to stomach upset. I just started on Oracea after a month on AzaSite and FML. I was nervous about ending the AzaSite because it helped a lot, but so far I am on day 4 and pain-free. *fingers crossed*

Anyway, so far i like the Oracea much better because it doesn't give me tummy problems.

With my insurance, the copay was $50, but I ordered a discount card online, and the final cost was only $15/mo!

http://www.oracea.com/Consumer/About...eaSavings.aspx

Comment

My Dermatologist gave me a card, and my Oracea is free!
            The co-pay for my insurance is normally $40.

I don't think there was any immediate benefit, more long term help in my view.

Comment

I have pretty bad rosacea and have been on the Oracea since October 30th. It has almost cleared the rosacea bumps and postules. I can't imagine now going back off of it and going back to how my face used to look! The only symptoms I have is some diarrhea, and I have suffered
              most of my adult life with constipation, so in a way, it's made me regular! haha! I am going to start taking some acidophilus to combat some of the digestion issues. You know that "i ate wayyy too much" feeling you get after a large meal? I feel three times worse, but that isn't really a problem, because we shouldn't stuff ourselves that much anyway! AND I have recurring corneal erosion due to my eyes dry out at night, while I sleep. I still put drops in my eyes before going to bed and when getting up in the morning, but they seem to be "less sticky" in the morning than they were before I started taking the Oracea. I hope my doc leaves me on it! Forever! lol

Wishing everyone the best!

Terry

Comment

Working...
              X