X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castor oil???

Hey guys,
    I know I haven't been in touch for a while, but my eyes have taken a severe turn for the worse. Yup, right out of the blue...once again.
    They are blood shot, glassy, itchy, stinging, burning, severally dry, etc..
    They are building a house directly behind me (!) and they begin at 7 AM every morning. I don't sleep well anyway, but this has severally impacted my sleep..which the doctor thinks may be affecting my eyes. I call it the "never ending house from hell". They've been working on it for about 3 months now and it is NO WHERE near being done.

Anyway, my doc put me through the usual routine, steroid drops, contact bandages, etc...etc..etc.. I'm still on the Restasis, plugs, Flax seed, Genteal drops, warm compresses, etc..Nothing seems to help. A friend of mine who is a hypnotis called me and said she heard that castor oil applied directly to the eye is supposed to supply a ton of relief. She's big into Edgar Casey and his foundation and that's where she got her info. She said castor oil packs applied over the eye are supposed to work as well. Anyone else heard this?
    Tried it? I'm willing to do anything right now, but I don't want to do something that might set me back even more. Any info would be helpful.

The other major concern is that my eyes are covered with so many dry spots that my vision is now severally impacted. My doc says this is common with so much dryness and that the vision will come back once we get things under control again. Help!!!!!! I've been confined to my apartment for almost 2 weeks now and really want to get back on with my life. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Hope all of you are doing much better.
    Take care,
    Kyle

Your building woes are familiar to me. My church put on a new addition, and even though the construction was in a different area than the church itself, I could not stand being in the church. I would be OK, then 5 minutes after I got in the church my eyes would be horrible. I could not stand it. I could get some relief in the bathroom and that was it.
    My eye doctor was also in a new building. It was completed, no construction going on anymore, but I could not stand being in there either. My eye doc also said there were several people in her office who could not tolerate their contact lenses in that building.
    My guess was that with all the building, dust, sawdust, materials and such, is that there are a lot of little particles hanging around in the air. Normal eyes probably don't notice, but they are probably sticking to our dry eyes and irritating them. I wonder if this is also having an impact on your eyes, along with the lack of sleep. Do you open your windows?
    One of the refesh products contains castor oil. Can't remember which one, but do a google search on castor oil and eye drops will probably bring it up.
    I wonder if rinsing your eyes with Unisol will help?
    Sorry to hear about your setback.

Comment

I'm thinking... when all else fails, keep the eyes covered up as much as possible. Protective glasses during day, something at night. Mind you I haven't tried this yet myself but TranquilEyes may I think be useful for overnight use for some people.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
        One of the refesh products contains castor oil.
        Refresh Endura.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Muro 128 ointment which is an over the counter produce. NOT the drops.You may have to ask the pharmacist for it. When I'm really bad, I use it 4x day as per my doc. It isn't fun to have greasy eyeballs during the day, but it's worth a try. Castor oil in your eye? Certainly not straiight castor oil. Don't.
          Try the one Rebecca mentioned.

A link to the stuff you are referring to about the castor oil packs. I didn't read through it, but certainly not on or around MY eyes. I know my massage therapist had me doing this at one time for bad knees. It didn't do much as I had one of them replaced. They may have a place, but I don't think it's your eyes.

http://edgarcayce.org/castor_oil_heals.asp
          Last edited by Lucy; 11-Jan-2006, 18:16.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

castor oil

Isn't Castor Oil one of the ingredients in Restasis too? Obviously, it must be a main ingredient in many eye drops. I go to a massage therapist/nutritionist/homeopathic whatever, who says castor oil is the cure all for everything. Being here in Virginia Beach where Edgar Cayce started his foundation, we hear a lot about him using it for many different things too. I'm just not sure about pure Castor Oil in the eyes. I am still tempted to try Emu Oil drops myself, as I heard they were great for dry eyes.

Comment

I think you can get castor oil eye drops from Leiter Pharmacy. You can look them up on the internet.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your info.
                Rebecca, I just ordered the tranquil eyes. They should be here in a couple of days. I've been wearing a felt eye mask at night, but it seems to create even more pus in my eyes (my dr. says this is a good thing though). We'll see what happens with these new things.

Jenny, I agree...I'm certain that the dust/dirt particles are adding to my discomfort...as well as the lack of sleep. I keep my windows closed at night, but open during the day. I just can't wait until they are done!

Gaye, yes, I remember the Edgar Cayce Foundation and went to visit it often. I did read the article I think that Lucy submitted and it made no mention of Castor Oil for your eyes. Maybe you can mention it to your person and see what they say? Let me know, okay? Also, what are Emu Oildrops?

Lucy, thanks for the article. It was really informative. I'm going to go get some Refresh Endura drops tomorrow and I'll ask my dr. about the Muro 128 ointment. Why were you prescribed it? How exactly does it help? Like I said, I am willing to try anything and everything at this point to help.

Thanks again to all of you for your advice.
                I'm hoping it helps!
                Take care,
                Kyle

Comment

Castor Oil???

Hi Kyle - somewhere along the way, when I was looking for soothing/moisturizing eye drops, I saw these advertised and thought I would try them. But Dr. Holly told me not to. I don't know though, because I use Emu Oil for moisturizing other parts of me, and I thought that this looked great. http://www.emuoilshopper.com/prod_eyedrops.htm

What do the rest of you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle
                    Rebecca, I just ordered the tranquil eyes. They should be here in a couple of days.
                    Incidentally, for those coming to the workshop, EyeEco is one of the exhibits so if you're not familiar with TranquilEyes you can check them out next month. We're going to be giving away a couple of sets too. Like I said I haven't yet tried them myself, but I have been hearing of more and more patients who have benefitted from them.

Originally posted by Gaye
                    Isn't Castor Oil one of the ingredients in Restasis too? Obviously, it must be a main ingredient in many eye drops.
                    I think that in Restasis, Refresh Endura (or something pretty close to it) is the vehicle for cyclosporine.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Lucy, thanks for the article. It was really informative. I'm going to go get some Refresh Endura drops tomorrow and I'll ask my dr. about the Muro 128 ointment. Why were you prescribed it? How exactly does it help? Like I said, I am willing to try anything and everything at this point to help.
                      I was prescribed Muro 128 ointment for dry eyes and corneal abrasions. My doc tells me that I can use it "forever." Well, he's the one who did my lasik too. I have a multitude of problems and have used Muro periodically since about 5 years ago. One thing it's for is corneal edema. I do not know IF I have corneal edema. I don't even know if I have a cornea in my goober eye. lol.

Since it's bought over the counter, I don't think there is anything harmful in it. But, by asking your doc, you can't go wrong. Actually, I'd suggest it to anyone who is IN A BAD TIME WITH DRY EYES. Not 24/7, but at night and a couple of times during the day IF you have a current abrasion.
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

You might want to think about closing the windows for a while, if you can.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Kyle,

I've nothing new to add here, except maybe trying blood serum drops. Does your doc do them? It's worth a try.

I'll keep praying for your return to manageability...

Diana
                          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Kyle, so sorry to hear about your flare! I note you mentioned GenTeal drops. Which drops are you using? I am very new at this, but have you tried the GenTeal Severe Gel? I have found it helpful during the day on really bad days. It only blurs my vision for 15 minutes or so, then I am good to go. It buys me 1 1/2-2 hours of relief of the dryness, not much impact on the pain though.

Restasis has castor oil as it's base. I would think as long as the castor oil is sterile, it might not be harmful. I would sure check with your eye doctor before considering it any further though.
                            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but ... I was recently told that--while I don't seem to have MGD, I should look at some of the treatment modalities to see if anything works.

I'm looking at the castor oil route, too, based on ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

JPiven was correct: Leiter's Compounding Pharmacy has Castor Oil 2% Ophthalmic Suspension for $28.80/10ml.

In my case, I'm trying to get it compounded with their Hyaluronic Acid PF Ophthalmic Suspension 0.5% ($127.50/10ml) and make a "super drop," likely for nighttime use, that may help heal corneal epithelial and conjunctival damage and help improve tear film stability.

If I keep putting all of these various oils in me ... I'm gonna' be one slippery dude....

Comment

Working...
                              X