This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshkote

Freshkote friends... I've been told that Freshkote, which is distributed by Focus Laboratories, is now commercially available on a prescription basis. There is no website yet (I understand it's coming soon) but Freshkote is now in drug listings so as I understand it if you get a prescription your local pharmacy can get it for you.

Will post more info as it becomes available. For those who aren't familiar with Freshkote, it's one of Dr. Holly's drops, with some distinct similarities to Dwelle and Dakrina.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Just wondering, what its different about it that places it in the 'prescription' category?
    Thanks.

Comment

That's a good question. With co-pays and the whole generic/branded/non-formulary thing ... it might be/might have been cheaper purchased OTC than it will as an Rx via insurance....

Comment

I heard a rep for the product explain it to a doc. The best answer he could give was "the way the "ingredients" are mixed together and the oncotic pressure is higher than the drops."

I know Rebecca spoke earlier regarding the oncotic pressure in the Dwelle but I didn't see a number. Maybe Rebecca can let us know, there may not be a that big a difference.

Comment

Dwelle, Dakrina and Freshkote all have high oncotic pressure, which is the characteristic we associate with improved wettability of the ocular surface. Can't seem to lay my hands on the numbers. I know that I had read that Dakrina had the highest oncotic pressure of any drop, but that may have been comparing them to unrelated drops and not to others in this family. I will find out more and revert. - The difference with Freshkote, as I understand it, is that it also contains a lipid-containing component.

I am glad FreshKote is finally available commercially.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Still dont get why you need a prescription though. I mean it is essentially another ocular lubricant right?

Comment

I don't really have an answer for that. I'll post a link when the company's website is launched as they will presumably have more information.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

update

The Freshkote website is up and running:

http://www.freshkote.com
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca, how widely available is this drop in the US? I mean, could you walk into a pharmacy in NY and obtain it (with an RX of course) or is it only available in certain ones?

The lipid part is interesting.

Thanks.

Comment

oncotic pressure and web link

Hi Rebecca:

Would be great if we knew the oncotic pressure {in the very least DES is helping build my vocabulary} of Dwelle, Dakrina ~ the FreshKote site notes "FreshKote® has a high oncotic pressure of 65mmHg which helps to...". Suppose it would be useful to compare - although the extra 'lipid' component they boast might be useful enough to make trial a wise idea.

BTW, the patent owner has a link on his site to this site. See link below and scroll to bottom.

http://aqueouspharma.com/_wsn/page2.html

Comment

Originally posted by RDAC
                      Hi Rebecca:

Would be great if we knew the oncotic pressure {in the very least DES is helping build my vocabulary} of Dwelle, Dakrina ~ the FreshKote site notes "FreshKote® has a high oncotic pressure of 65mmHg which helps to...".
                      According to the information given to me, the oncotic pressure of all three drops is 65mmHg (also mentioned at this link ). Freshkote is Dwelle plus a unique patented ingredient called Amisol Clear.

BTW, the patent owner has a link on his site to this site. See link below and scroll to bottom.

http://aqueouspharma.com/_wsn/page2.html
                      Yes. Aqueous Pharma is our IP licensor.
                      Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 19-Jun-2006, 12:18.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by SusieD
                        Rebecca, how widely available is this drop in the US? I mean, could you walk into a pharmacy in NY and obtain it (with an RX of course) or is it only available in certain ones?
                        It's in the major drug listings, so theoretically I think any pharmacy can get it for you, though they might have to special order it.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Freshcote

Rebecca Petris:

Do you know if it would be possible to import Freshcote to Europe if I have an eye-doctor doing it for me (since you need a prescription)? I don't have any patience at all, and since I can't find any information about when the drops will be on the market in Europe,...well,..I'm wondering if it would be possible to get them from the US.

Greetings, Toril

Comment

Well broadly speaking yes I think it's possible, as I certainly know many patients whose doctors have somehow brought some Rx eye drugs for their patients from the US. I don't know how or what the implications are - that's something the individual doctor has to work out. Maybe another poster across the pond with experience can comment?
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

It can be done - no doubt about that, but you might be better off waiting until you win the lottery or something because it can work out extremely expensive. Im not just talking the cost of the actual product/drug but the import charges can be ludicrous.

Comment

Working...
                              X