Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopped the thick ointments at night long ago, but are the thick gel drops OK?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped the thick ointments at night long ago, but are the thick gel drops OK?

So the super thick vaseline like stuff I stopped using at night because not only did it not seem to help but also after the fact I read that it decreases oxygen to the eyes and can make you worse.

So now I use my regular preservative free drops but wonder if I can use the gel ones? There are ones that are thicker others more liquidy gel, but both not as thick as the original stuff I was taking. One is kinda close, forget the brand at the moment.

What do you guys think on this topic? Thanks!

Ointment (Muro) vs gel drops, my experience

If I don't use Muro ointment every night, when I open my eyes in the a.m., I am pretty much guaranteed an erosion. During the day I use Genteal gel drops, which do a much better job with lubrication, decreasing pain than any brand of preservative free eye drops. Genteal gel/ointment breaks down pretty quickly in my eyes, affording me little protection. I don't know about the research, but I wouldn't think that 8 hrs of ointment such as Muro would have a deleterious effect on oxygen exchange in the eye. My experience, which may be very different from yours, is that the ointment thins out enough in 2 hours after application that oxygen would pretty freely get to the cornea. Definitely in 3 hrs, oxygen exchange would occur with me. Keep us posted on what you end up using, Betsy, and the results.

Comment

Thank you Shutterbug. Which of these do you use? Do they contain BAK?
      http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...+drops&x=0&y=0

I was using the genteal severe gel because I worried when I had the genteal or systane nightime ointment that it would be too much for my eyes as far as clogging them up from what I had read on here. Refresh Lacrilube was the worst, so thick and gooey. Though if it helped I would have stuck with it. I am not sure what to do now, but I struggle with my eyes all day and night so I am not doing anything that's helping it seems. I mostly use preservative free vials throughout the day because I worry about preservatives and I will never ever use anything with BAK. I wish I could find the info I read on here about some nighttime drops not being so good, so I can make sure I don't use those. Yours doesn't contain BAK right?

Comment

Working...
      X