This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebecca's blog update on FreshKote going OTC

Hello, friends, and please forgive if I'm behind the times on posting protocols/technology. . .DEZ has evolved magnificently since I was active in the Forum. . . Tonight I'm writing just to celebrate, with compatriots in the DES world, the new availability of FreshKote as an OTC product in the U.S. My hope is that millions of patients who are not being directed to high oncotic pressure drops by their doctors will now happen upon FreshKote in the retail market, and then begin to experience a level of healing they may not yet have achieved by other means. . .Thank you, Rebecca, for conveying the milestone. . .and thanks to the alert patient who spotted the development initially...(Writing as a patient, only, with no commercial interest whatsoever in FreshKote and related products)
    <Doggedly Determined>

Any idea on the average OTC cost? I really enjoy this drop and use it at night.

Comment

$35-ish. ((((Rojzen)))) Great to see you!!!
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks. Clinitas ultra 3 is way cheaper...i wonder why its so much more here

Comment

I just saw this, and welcome back Rojzen! I missed you!

Thanks for sharing the great news! I'm tired of using Muro 128 5%. It stings! Looking forward to finding some FreshKote!

--Liz

Comment

It's on amazon.com for ~$34. I've ordered some to try... very excited!

Comment

FreshKote didn't work so well for me. I am back to TheraTears, but may give it another go.

Comment

It was $40-ish at WalMart, but they didn't have it in the store. I had to have them order it for me back in the fall. Unfortunately, I can't use it right now as I can't take out the bandage lens each day.

Comment

wow this is great! last summer I was prescribed Freshkote and got 2 bottles of it with a $50 insurance copay. it was the closest thing I had used that compares to Dwelle. great to see that it is OTC now !!!
                  RG
                  "Wishing I never had LASIK and was still wearing glasses and contact lenses"

Comment

I thought I'd chime in here with my two cents, since I just got a bottle of FreshKote.

-Availability: I got it at my local pharmacy (I live in the U.S.). I had to have them order it; they didn't stock it. It only took a day, though.
                    -Cost: Because it's an OTC product, I did not need an Rx for it, but I had my eye doctor write one anyway, in the hopes my insurance would cover it. It did not, and I paid $40 for the 15 ml bottle. However, since I had it prescribed to me, I was able to use my healthcare flex spending account debit card (I can't use that for OTC products unless they are prescribed). So I saved a few bucks that way.
                    -My impression of the product: I'd never used FreshKote until now. I've used Dakrina, Dwelle, NutraTear and Clinitas Ultra 3, which I ordered from a pharmacy in the U.K. (no Rx needed). FreshKote is supposed to be identical to Clinitas Ultra 3. I do not think it is. Clinitas Ultra 3 did not work all that well for me. I found it very watery, very light, and it did not give me the relief I experienced with Dwelle and Dakrina (Dakrina being my all-time favorite of the Dr. Holly drops). Because of my lack of success with Clinitas Ultra 3, I have been using Systane Ultra for a few years, with decent results, but I've always missed that "coating of the eye" feeling I got from Dwelle and Dakrina. FreshKote, to me, seems like "Dwelle Lite." It's more watery than Dwelle or Dakrina, but it does give me that lovely initial stinging sensation (which I don't mind, because that tells me the product is working!) and feeling of the eye surface being coated. I put some FreshKote in my eyes before bed and woke up with eyes much less dry than usual (my dry eye is generally very bad in the morning). Since I cannot get Dwelle or Dakrina anymore, I find FreshKote an acceptable substitute and much better than Clinitas Ultra 3.

In short: Two thumbs up for FreshKote! Wish it was a little cheaper, but still happy to have it.

Comment

Thanks for your input and updates, everyone! Your experiences and advice are a huge help. I really miss Dwelle and NutraTear. They are fantastic. I'm on Muro 128 5%, but it stings and is less comfortable than Dr. Holly's drops.

It's nice to know that I can get something similar at least for nighttime use.

--Liz

Comment

FreshKote

Originally posted by liz56 View Post
                        Thanks for your input and updates, everyone! Your experiences and advice are a huge help. I really miss Dwelle and NutraTear. They are fantastic. I'm on Muro 128 5%, but it stings and is less comfortable than Dr. Holly's drops.

It's nice to know that I can get something similar at least for nighttime use.

--Liz
                        Hi all, just wondering about the preservitive in FreshKote. The Doc I see tells me to stay away from eye drops with preservitives in them.
                        Any ideas on this?
                        Thank you very much.
                        Dennis

Comment

I think you can find this under the archive section of Dr. Holly --

Not sure how others use FreshKote- but, I wear the PROSE lenses - and, put the FreshKote in before putting the lenses in. doesn't bother my eyes as much.

Comment

Anyone know how to get it shipped to Canada?? Amazon.ca sucks lol any website I can order it from??

Comment

Working...
                            X