No announcement yet.

Are night time ointments safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Meiboian, may I please ask, are you an opthamologist or optometrist? It says "EyeMD" under your name.

I have never heard of lacrimal obstruction. I have had plugs before, but once removed, could not get them back in because there was scar tissue I was told.

How does one know whether they have lacrimal obstruction? Did you have it? Did you get irrigation?

If you are a doctor, may I ask the state in which you practice, and is there an opthamologist pr optometrist that was able to help you?

thank you!

Comment

Ophthalmologist with dry eye symptoms and MGD, very rarely now. Yes, I stuck a cannula into my lacrimal punctum and irrigated the lacrimal system and luckily they were not blocked. And no, I don't recommend anyone perform a "selfie" lacrimal irrigation! Your eye doctor should perform this procedure.

Comment

Thank you meibomian. I wonder why no doctors mentioned it to me. My eyes began hurting long after i hadn't had plugs and when I was only using refresh preservative free 2X a day,that's it, morning and night. How can one tell if their blocked? When did you learn about this procedure ? Did you discover it? How many patients get it at your office? I am very curious now because I haven't heard about it. I was going to cauterize my ducts next but now worried that what if that ends in more inflammation?

Comment

Sometimes, we make things more complicated than they are. The importance of the lacrimal system in tear drainage is nothing more than the basic principle of "conservation of mass". I really haven't “discovered” anything new, just trying to point out fundamental physical concepts that cannot be violated no matter what subject is being discussed, from internal combustion engines to tearing. As stated previously, tear is more than just water but only water can leave the eye via evaporation. The other components of tears such as salts, oil, mucin, and almost all the inflammatory mediators, either have to go down the tear ducts or must drip down your face – excessive tearing from dry eyes is the body’s natural defense to dilute the problem. If the drainage system is blocked, or partially so, then there’s going to be an increased in the concentration of the “bad” stuff. Dry eyes can be quite complex but the basic laws of nature must remain true.

Comment

Thanks meibomian. I have an appt to discuss cauterization with a new doctor and be asking him about the lacrimal irrigation you mentioned for sure. There are not any options around here left other than cauterization which I wanted so badly to avoid. Hopefully he can tell me about lacrimal irrigation. I am glad you mentioned it because no one had mentioned it before for me to even know to ask.

Comment

can't speak to other effects, but EWG is a load of bullcrap. no scientific basis whatsoever. I work in cosmetic chemistry so I do plenty fo my own research when it comes to ingredients

Comment

Originally posted by kjj17 View Post
                can't speak to other effects, but EWG is a load of bullcrap. no scientific basis whatsoever. I work in cosmetic chemistry so I do plenty fo my own research when it comes to ingredients

I respectfully wholeheartedly positively without a doubt disagree with that statement and feel that doctors with all their education telling me that known toxins are OK that are still in our products are either 1. ignorant or 2. their selling these very products in their offices and don't want to lose the business but know their harmful.Not to mention the connections they have with big manufacturers and the $ involved.

May I ask what field you work in in the cosmetic industry?

Comment

Working...
                X