Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are single use eye drop vials really single use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are single use eye drop vials really single use?

When I used the Alcon tears Naturale Free, I'd get 2 even 3 days use out of them. Just popped the cap back on. Never had a problem. I just got the CVS generic brand and 1. much less liquid but it says use and toss. Is that just to cover their butts? Unisol 4 was good for a month so I'd think this would be fine for a day or two. Some days I don't need drops and I'm not gonna toss perfectly good drops away.

Originally posted by Mewkiss View Post
    When I used the Alcon tears Naturale Free, I'd get 2 even 3 days use out of them. Just popped the cap back on. Never had a problem. I just got the CVS generic brand and 1. much less liquid but it says use and toss. Is that just to cover their butts? Unisol 4 was good for a month so I'd think this would be fine for a day or two. Some days I don't need drops and I'm not gonna toss perfectly good drops away.
    Restasis comes the same way - in single use vials. All the doctors I've ever had have told me that you don't have to throw it away after the first use. And so I use all of the drops in the vial, and they last me a lot longer.

I don't see any harm in using all of the liquid in the vial, as long as you take care not to contaminate it.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Comment

Ever since I noticed a vial I had used from the day before looked more cloudy than an unopened vial, I do not use them after the first day opening it unless I put it in the refrigerator. It might be because I live in a warmer climate, so bacteria starts forming more quickly.

Comment

pythonidlerHokucat Thanks for that info. I never paid much attention to be honest and I never had a problem. . I live in CA but keep my drops under my AC in my bedroom which I turn on at night. But I have no problem popping it into a baggie and putting it in the fridge. I go through stages where my eyes are fine and some days like some rubbed them with sandpaper. But I can't afford using two a day. And the CVS ones seem to have a cap you can't screw back on like the old ones. Trial and error. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Just spoke to Alcon. She says the Genteal Tears is the exact same thing as Tears Naturale, but if you have a problem call them. They have a line for adverse events. Guess that's on my shopping list. Still have not tried the CVS. Will give one a shot now. I'll keep you posted on how it holds up.

Comment

As far back as I saw a vial I had utilized from the day preceding looked more shady than an unopened vial, I don't utilize them after the principal day opening it except if I put it in the cooler. It may be on the grounds that I live in a hotter atmosphere, so microscopic organisms begins framing all the more rapidly.

Comment

Working...
            X