Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have discovered a decent lipid drop!

After discussing various oil options with my compounding pharm he told me that he uses a medium chain triglyceride as a base for some compounded drops like high dose cyclosporine. I asked him if he ever prescribed just the oil for someone with dry eyes and he said he had never thought of it. So I got a prescription for the oil form the MD and my compound pharm compounded it for me. It works very well as an over night lubricant and it does not grease up my scleral lens the next day. It does not burn if I put it in and then close my eyes. This might be a good daytime option for those who are oil deficient.

The drop is: C-caprylic/capric triglyceride. It is a pharm grade highly refined coconut oil and it is sterile. I have been using it for a month without side effect and it works very well. You might not need a prescription for it where you live as it is really not a pharmaceutical so talk to your compounder first before you go to your MD.

what kind of saline solution and how much of it is used to compound with the C-caprylic/capric triglyceride? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Fitch View Post
      what kind of saline solution and how much of it is used to compound with the C-caprylic/capric triglyceride? thanks
      none it is pure oil that has been passed through a filter to remove contaminants and then bottled in a sterile bottle under a hood in a clean room(this is the "compounding" part of it i guess).

Comment

Amid the issues that compounding pharmacies have had the past several months, I would encourage people using compounding pharmacies to look for those that are PCAB accredited.

Comment

Hi Dave,
          How long does this drop last during the day? Do you find you are dried out after a few hours, or does it last through the day? Thank you for the info. Great to hear this!
          Last edited by LaDiva; 23-Dec-2013, 21:33.

Comment

thanks for the great info. Do you use leiters pharmacy for compounding or another one more local? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
              Hi Dave,
              How long does this drop last during the day? Do you find you are dried out after a few hours, or does it last through the day? Thank you for the info. Great to hear this!
              I only use it at night when I sleep. For some reason it will start to burn my eyes if I use it while I am awake but other than that one drop last all night. It does not burn if I use it while I sleep and it does not burn when first applied. I would say it wont burn most people my eyes are super sensitive, some times even saline will irritate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitch View Post
                thanks for the great info. Do you use leiters pharmacy for compounding or another one more local? thanks
                local pharmacy.

Comment

It burns because coconut oil has a low pH. It's acidic.

Comment

Working...
                  X