Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaine MGD vs Systance Balance

Hi
    Just curious your comments on above drops.
    Systance Blance has preservative but very little, still bad for eyes? or better NOT to use for more than 1 year or??

Many doctors recommend both but seems more doctors (including my last doctor) recommend Retaine (I guess mainly for its free-preservative) or ?? My eyes seem to like Systance Blance better.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MGD1701; 03-Nov-2017, 05:36.

Initially my doctor suggested Systane Balance (mineral oil) as a oil/lipid replacement. They prefer preservative free for me but it's the only oil-based drop currently available on NHS prescription here in the UK and they felt that at least the preservative is milder than e.g. BAK etc. Retaine (aka Cationorm and also mineral oil) isn't available in UK and Emustil (soybean oil drop) is over the counter only, not available on prescription. Unfortunately I found the Systane Balance stung bad for me, so I had to stop.

I switched to Cationorm (ordering in from Germany) and doesn't sting for me, everyone is so different though as to what they get along with. I also later tried Emustil, it's a bit thicker and blurs briefly so I went back to Cationorm but didn't give it a very long trial, could be good for at night. I've ordered in Refresh Mega 3 (flaxseed oil and castor oil) from the US to try, waiting on delivery, shame about shipping costs though, hopefully it makes it over to Europe in the future.

I think studies say polyquad preservative is a lot better than BAK but not as fine compared to unpreserved as your doctors say. However if it's what your eyes seem to prefer I'm guessing you may just have to limit how many times in a day you take it compared to preservative free where you can even take every hour if needed. You said you're in a much better place now with your eyes, which is fantastic, so maybe you only need it sparingly during the day anyway.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25759110

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3351434/

Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Thanks!

0.4ml/single pack: can I finish it in 2 days as I can not finish it in 1 day - I put it in fridge once open?
      the pack is not so well-made - hard to close properly after open. Will see if I can find a bottle one.

Last edited by MGD1701; 03-Nov-2017, 10:12.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
        0.4ml/single pack: can I finish it in 2 days as I can not finish it in 1 day - I put it in fridge once open?
        the pack is not so well-made - hard to close properly after open. Will see if I can find a bottle one.
        By 0.4ml single vials do you mean the Retaine MGD? You can get it as a preservative free multi-dose bottle as Cationorm. Ocusoft bought the rights to distribute Cationorm as "Retaine MGD" in America from Santen, but for whatever reason they only released the single dose vials version.

https://www.pharmasana.de/cationorm-...ntropfen-10-ml
        Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

It has been my experience that the preservatives in Systane Balance are mild on the eye and my eyes are the litmus test because I am intolerant of almost anything and can tolerate the preservatives in Systane. I do use it sometimes with no problem. As regards the non-preserved single packs there are some that are not recapable but if I use them up in a few days I have never had a problem and I just lay it carefully on the counter in my bathroom (clean with no children) and have never had a problem.

If you like the Systane better I say go for it......F/G

Comment

Thanks farmgirl.
            Just curious. How long have you been using Systance Balance? Thanks!
            Actually only one dr recommended it 5 months ago but I started it after the LipiFlow treatment, about 16 months ago - but I combine with other drops. The inventor, Dr Kob, said it helps with MGD (in his old video) and I trust him - although it is an old product.
            Last edited by MGD1701; 04-Nov-2017, 10:45.

Comment

I only use it sporadically but it is preserved with the same thing as all of the other systane products that contain a preservative and I have used those extensively off and on through the years. I tolerate all of it as well as anything. I have to be very careful what I put in my eyes now so if I do use an artificial tear I try never to use the same drop twice in one day. As much as I can I use non preserved saline.

Comment

Hi ,
                Just for info, for MGD, my doctor gave me Cationorm (for oil) and Vismed (hyaluronique acid). Both are preservative-free.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. You use BOTH in a day? what did dr recommend?
                  Do you find them useful?

Thealoz Duo drop: I find it good too, but comebined with others NOT alone.

Comment

Hi,
                    I used to use both in a day, according to my needs. In the end I prefer Vismed and I only use it.
                    At the beginning doctor gave me both and after asking me which one I prefer, he gave me only Vismed.
                    I've never used others drops.

Comment

Working...
                    X