Touching eye ointment tip to eyelid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touching eye ointment tip to eyelid

I use a lubricant eye ointment every night for dry eye, it is made by rugby and is basically a Vaseline type product with some mineral oil and a little lanolin oil, and is preservative free. When reading online it is usually recommended to avoid touching the tip of eye ointment to your eyelid or eyelashes, but it is hard to avoid. I can understand not touching it if you have an active eye infection, but if your eye is healthy wouldn't any germs that get inside the tube of ointment be in your eye anyways? I have also read that ointments do not support bacterial growth very well.

If it something that you are going to use up fairly quickly say within a couple of weeks I wouldn't stress about it.

Comment

Does anyone alcohol off the tip after using it? I have thought about it but am worried the alcohol would get inside the ointment and hurt my eye.

Comment

I've been using nighttime ointment for at least 20 years. Yes, it happens sometimes (not very often) that the tip of the tube touches my eye lashes, or I accidently poke myself in the eye. I've never had an issue with either situations causing my eye(s) to get infected. Even so, you will get better at applying the ointment as time goes on. Try to balance one arm against the other arm (for leverage) when you are applying it. It is also much easier to apply the ointment if you are lying down. I hope this helps.

Comment

Probably not necessary, it would be way too much fuss after a time

Comment

Originally posted by LesYou View Post
            I've been using nighttime ointment for at least 20 years. Yes, it happens sometimes (not very often) that the tip of the tube touches my eye lashes, or I accidently poke myself in the eye. I've never had an issue with either situations causing my eye(s) to get infected. Even so, you will get better at applying the ointment as time goes on. Try to balance one arm against the other arm (for leverage) when you are applying it. It is also much easier to apply the ointment if you are lying down. I hope this helps.
            I have also read places that you should throw away eye ointment after 1 month of use, do you do that or just use it until it is empty?

Comment

If I am still using a product daily I will continue until it is gone, within reason. There is nothing magic about 30 days. I think those suggestions are for products that are used occasionally.

Comment

Working...
              X