This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nighttime ointment makes eyes worse the next day

hello fellow dry eye sufferers. i've been lurking on here for a while...and i've finally registered!!!

i wanted to ask you guys...do nighttime ointments with mineral and petroleum oil make your eyes feel worse the next day? i don't even feel like it keeps my eyes moist through the night. my eyes still feel very uncomfortable when i wake up. it takes all morning through the afternoon for my eyes to feel normal again after putting the ointment the previous night. do any of you feel this way? does this mean anything regarding what's causing my eye discomfort?

A few possibilities come to mind...

a) maybe your eyes are sensitive to one of the ointment ingredients (ex. lanolin alcohols, mineral oil, white petrolatum)

b) maybe your eyes are just irritated from drying out overnight and that's why they feel lousy in the morning, but it's not the fault of the ointment

c) maybe the leftover ointment residue is causing you a problem once you're awake - I use ointment overnight since it works better for me than any other option - but, to avoid having it disrupt my tear film and make my eyes feel overly dry during the DAY, first thing in the morning I flush out the ointment with 1 vial of Bion Tears PF drops in each eye - then I head for the sink and close my eyes tightly while I wash away the ointment residue from my eyelashes with soap and water.

Comment

Ditto to all that SAAG said. "C" is exactly what I do too since I have to use ointment nightly as well.

Comment

i have the same thing. i think it does have to do with the residue and the ointment messing with your meibomian glands. washing it off in the morning may help, but i just avoid them altogether.

it also could be an allergy to the ingredients, but its most likely just a sensitivity to the glands.

Comment

I solved my overnight dry eye problem with vitamin e oil rubbed liberally on my lid margins so that some seeps into my eyes. I also apply some rose hip oil which is very nice and does not burn unlike the vitamin e oil which burns for few seconds. Upon waking the next morning I use an eye cup and rinse out my eyes with salt water that I mixed up the night before. I then add my RESTASIS then 15 min afterward rinse it out with more salt water (1/4 teaspoon per two cups of tap water) and then I add celluvisc. This seems to be the best regimen for me. None of the pharma eye goop worked for me and most irritated my eyes and made it impossible to put in my scleral the next day because the petroleum based ointments would grease up the lens.

This combination has given me a substantial improvement. I do not need my scleral much now unless I am going to be in a place with a lot of moving air for a long time.

Comment

what does the vitamin e oil do for your eyes?

Comment

you think the burning from the vitamin oil is ok? i get scared anytime someone mentions burning and eyes in the same sentence

Comment

it only burns me because of the lid damage from the SJS it might not bother you at all. The stinging is only for a few seconds then its fine. I have had no problems with it.

Use it at your own risk however.

Comment

Hi all. I get that same feeling of dryness in the morning from Lacrilube, so I try my best to wipe it off, before I put my contacts in.

Comment

Hi all, personally I find that excess night-time gels that get on your eyelashes tends to dry out forming a crusty residue which then irritates my eyes. For me I found that using a damp tissue to wipe away any excess when I first put the gel in seems to fix this problem.

Comment

I have just found a presentation of Frank Holly. As he mentions "ointments can impede the spreading of tears and they should be avoided even at night"

http://www.visionsurgeryrehab.org/pd...esentation.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by aussiemelbournegirl View Post
                        Hi all, personally I find that excess night-time gels that get on your eyelashes tends to dry out forming a crusty residue which then irritates my eyes. For me I found that using a damp tissue to wipe away any excess when I first put the gel in seems to fix this problem.
                        I get that crust too - but I get it during the day too sometimes even when I haven't been using gels or ointments. I think it happens just from eyedrops with me.

Slightly related but not quite the same....I was trying a night-time ointment but had to stop. It wasn't painful the next day (stung a little when I first put it in - but only briefly) but I seemed to get excessive oil (or the wrong type of oil?) in my eyes or MGs the next day.

I'm already finding I have to clean my glasses (I have high myopia) excessively but after using the ointment, I couldn't even wear my glasses for 5 minutes before they smeared up with oil!

I'm thinking maybe I've got too much oil or poor-quality oil/tears in my eyes or glands (apparently I've got MGD but haven't had my MGs looked at yet).

I've only recently realised this because although my glasses are smearing up very frequently, I've realised it isn't always my glasses that are dirty/smeary - it's actually my eyes (which seem to be smeary/wet-type feeling and blurry.

Comment

Me too! I asked my ophthalmologist and was told it means the eye is overly dry before the application of it, she suggested I used my usual drops (clinitas , but any is fine) then add the lacrlube right away after three slow blinks. This stopped the stinging for me. Worth a try!
                          People have recovered, so can we.
                          www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Originally posted by waterbee View Post
                            Me too! I asked my ophthalmologist and was told it means the eye is overly dry before the application of it, she suggested I used my usual drops (clinitas , but any is fine) then add the lacrlube right away after three slow blinks. This stopped the stinging for me. Worth a try!
                            You have a great night time lubricant available to you in the UK it's called VitA-Pos. I order it from Amazon. It contains vitamin A and my eyes have improved tremendously on it. No burning and keeps my eyes lubed all night with one application. Perservative free with no patrolium.

http://www.scopeophthalmics.com/index.php?ECProduct=22

Comment

You can avoid the petrolatum by trying Genteal gel. I typically use a drop of Tears Naturale Free or Blink , then a small amount of the gel.

Comment

Working...
                              X