Artificial tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial tears

Hi I know this topic has probably already been discussed. But can artificial tears wipe away the good components in natural tears? Such as components to kill bacteria/infection?

And can artificial tears cause more harm than good in some people?

Seems like I have more problems with my eyes when I use artificial tears.

Originally posted by chella21279 View Post
    Hi I know this topic has probably already been discussed. But can artificial tears wipe away the good components in natural tears? Such as components to kill bacteria/infection?
    It's a theory. Personally it makes sense to me. But even under that theory it would only be relevant if you are dropping very, very frequently. When people are in 'desperation' mode with dry eye pain, they drop constantly as a pain- or sensation-control method (as opposed to the actual need for lubrication). Anecdotally a lot of people seem to improve when they find alternative methods so they are able to cut back on the dropping.

And can artificial tears cause more harm than good in some people?

Seems like I have more problems with my eyes when I use artificial tears.
    Pay attention to the ingredients. It's not uncommon to have, or develop, sensitivity to common ingredients. Some people can't use CMC or HPMC drops, which are among the very most common types. If one type is not doing well for you, you might want to try something with a completely different active ingredient(s). Also, sensitivity to commercial polymer artificial tears is one of the reasons people turn to autologous serum drops.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
      It's a theory. Personally it makes sense to me. But even under that theory it would only be relevant if you are dropping very, very frequently. When people are in 'desperation' mode with dry eye pain, they drop constantly as a pain- or sensation-control method (as opposed to the actual need for lubrication). Anecdotally a lot of people seem to improve when they find alternative methods so they are able to cut back on the dropping.
      Makes perfect sense...thank you! I drop about once every two hours. I've learned to cope with the gritty sensation without dropping constantly since no drop seems to be consistently working for me.

Pay attention to the ingredients. It's not uncommon to have, or develop, sensitivity to common ingredients. Some people can't use CMC or HPMC drops, which are among the very most common types. If one type is not doing well for you, you might want to try something with a completely different active ingredient(s). Also, sensitivity to commercial polymer artificial tears is one of the reasons people turn to autologous serum drops.
      I've tried many OTC drops in the past and the tolerance varies day to day. Some days I can tolerate nonpreservative Systane Ultra, some days I cant. I was doing great on Retaine MGD on Sunday but yesterday it stung my eyes. Then I switched to Similasan which also stung my eyes and only lasted 20 minutes.

In the past I've also tried Refresh non preservative (for sensitive eyes) and Gen Teal. Both made my eyes stung and felt very dry 10 minutes later.

Any other non-preservative brands you'd recommend?

Comment

Once every two hours isn't overdoing it (in my opinion )

Originally posted by chella21279 View Post
        I've tried many OTC drops in the past and the tolerance varies day to day. Some days I can tolerate nonpreservative Systane Ultra, some days I cant. I was doing great on Retaine MGD on Sunday but yesterday it stung my eyes. Then I switched to Similasan which also stung my eyes and only lasted 20 minutes.
        Helps to differentiate between sensation upon instillation, and efficacy / how long the relief lasts. If a drop is effective for you, then you can get around the stinging bit by buffering it (put a drop or two of unpreserved saline or even a really bland/thin artificial tear in a few minutes before). Usually the stinging is because you're dumping a fair bit of polymer on a dry surface... that's why it will sting sometimes and not others just depends what the surface is like. Of course if you're actually getting a reaction to the drop, don't use it (any redness, prolonged irritation, or even just an impression that it makes you worse).

In the past I've also tried Refresh non preservative (for sensitive eyes) and Gen Teal. Both made my eyes stung and felt very dry 10 minutes later.
        That's normal for a lot of people. They're not very long lasting drops.

Any other non-preservative brands you'd recommend?
        Naw, I hate them all if I were going to recommend something it'd probably be Oasis Tears Plus or FreshKote, but recognizing that different drops work for different folks
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I have tried 9 different brands of artificial tears or gels (two of them preservative free). All them makes me worse, or ate least I feel better without them. It's a kin of chemical/artificial feeling in my eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by bakunin View Post
            I have tried 9 different brands of artificial tears or gels (two of them preservative free). All them makes me worse, or ate least I feel better without them. It's a kin of chemical/artificial feeling in my eyes...

Yes! I totally feel the same. At this point I'm using natures tears eye mist, which really doesn't do a whole lot but it's a lot better than the others.

Comment

Once every two hours isn't overdoing it (in my opinion )

Helps to differentiate between sensation upon instillation, and efficacy / how long the relief lasts. If a drop is effective for you, then you can get around the stinging bit by buffering it (put a drop or two of unpreserved saline or even a really bland/thin artificial tear in a few minutes before). Usually the stinging is because you're dumping a fair bit of polymer on a dry surface... that's why it will sting sometimes and not others just depends what the surface is like. Of course if you're actually getting a reaction to the drop, don't use it (any redness, prolonged irritation, or even just an impression that it makes you worse).

That's normal for a lot of people. They're not very long lasting drops.

Naw, I hate them all if I were going to recommend something it'd probably be Oasis Tears Plus or FreshKote, but recognizing that different drops work for different folks

I appreciate the advice! Thanks

Comment

Concur with bakunin. Moisture chambers, humidifiers, and limiting screens after the work day is most effective for me. If you have MGD, look into doxycycline, which is not a miracle, but could keep you stable at least.

Comment

I havethe same problem...i tried more than 5o brands of artificial tears ,gels and ointments and i couldn,t find at least one who could moisture my eyes ...and i hadthe same sensation of chemicals inside my eyes...and felt them evn dryer than before...i really don,t know how to ease this dryiness and burning sensation... can,t stay more than one day without lubrication ,but it,s worst when i use it...i tried ASR drops too,helped me in the beginning,now they sting too...i wish somebody tell us what to use safely without side effects...

Comment

Exactly the same for me. Do you feel like it's convering the surface of your eyes yet not doing what it's suppose to and it makes you feel worse? When I look at the mirror the liquid is covering my whole eye but isn't doing anything (or making it worse) such that I have to wash and rinse my eyes off it. I kept looking for something that works form me but can't find it anywhere and I tried at least 20 different brands.

Ill recommend getting moisture chambers, at least they do help.

Comment

yes,me too...it,s very difficult coping with dry eyes,mine sting & burn...but if i use artificial tears / gels/ ointments they begin to hurt,i have pains and blurred vision and i feel they are " glued" ...and usually i have to wash them with a lot a saline solution ,which make the things worst...and more than that my eyse secrete reflex tears wich burn like hell...like they want to get rid of the stuff i put..... i tried almost everything on the western market,i want now to try japanese eye drops ( Sante Dry Care) ,maybe they will work( they have different ingredients ) .

Comment

Working...
                      X