Eye feeling worse after a few drop!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye feeling worse after a few drop!

Since my dry eye started, I have a problem with every artificial eye drop that I try. When I put eye drop in my eyes in the morning it feels good. After 4 5 round of lubricating, my eye feel sore.
    I used different preservative free eye drop. Now I am using Hylo.
    Also has anybody tied Systane Balance? It supposed to be good for MGD but it is not preservative free.

I am 5 month post lasik + ocular rosacea

I did not care for Systane Balance. What about Retain MGD? You can by it online. How is Hylo?

Comment

I also ordered Retain

hylo is really good but as I said i get sore eye after a few times i put the drop

Comment

Maybe try to limit your drop usage. I usually wake up, clean eyes with lid scrub, put in two drops into both eyes (hylo forte), then straight away put on moisture goggles.

Comment

Last edited by MGD1701; 28-Aug-2018, 12:01.

Comment

How closely did you apply the drops...meaning, did you apply those 5 drops over an hour period or a 4 hour period? There's a few reasons this could happen. I am going to guess that you may just be overdoing it. I've noticed that when I put theratears in my eye for example, eventually the liquid dries and it leaves the electrolytes on my eye. If I keep added more, eventually my eye will just get salty. There may be something in the halo forte bothering you. I know this is why a lot of doctors don't prescribe over 50% serum...when you get into the 75% and 100% preparations there have been report of hypertonicity and burning. Just a guess. I was told to try and limit it to two time per hour, which is hard. So let me suggest something...if you can get a gel you like, you may need to go with that for a bit. The only gel I can use is oasis tears plus. It's so smooth and gives me zero discomfort, doesn't blur my vision much. Good luck..hope you start feeling better.

EDIT: let me add I'm allergic to any emulsions like retaine MGD or restasis. So watch out for itchiness and discomfort..any drop doing that, toss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
              How closely did you apply the drops...meaning, did you apply those 5 drops over an hour period or a 4 hour period? There's a few reasons this could happen. I am going to guess that you may just be overdoing it. I've noticed that when I put theratears in my eye for example, eventually the liquid dries and it leaves the electrolytes on my eye. If I keep added more, eventually my eye will just get salty. There may be something in the halo forte bothering you. I know this is why a lot of doctors don't prescribe over 50% serum...when you get into the 75% and 100% preparations there have been report of hypertonicity and burning. Just a guess. I was told to try and limit it to two time per hour, which is hard. So let me suggest something...if you can get a gel you like, you may need to go with that for a bit. The only gel I can use is oasis tears plus. It's so smooth and gives me zero discomfort, doesn't blur my vision much. Good luck..hope you start feeling better.

EDIT: let me add I'm allergic to any emulsions like retaine MGD or restasis. So watch out for itchiness and discomfort..any drop doing that, toss it.
              I usually put one in the morning and then 4 5 through the whole day. I can not put more as my eyes start to hurt. When I use gel it is even worse.
              I will give oasis tears plus a try.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

I usually put one in the morning and then 4 5 through the whole day. I can not put more as my eyes start to hurt. When I use gel it is even worse.
                I will give oasis tears plus a try.
                Can you explain the pain and soreness...is it like a deep ache? You believe it's directly correlated to the drop use and not an environmental factor?

Comment

I would suggest that there is something in the drops that you are using that you are reacting to. I have the same problem, there is little that I can comfortably put in my eyes long term. I have resorted to non preserved saline and save the OTC drops for when I have to put drops in often, like every 20 min which is more likely to be at night when I am on the computer. Since I started with the saline I need less drops than before which tells me that the irritation I was trying to relieve was coming as much or more from the drops irritating the eye than it was from dryness.

Comment

I sometimes think that my irritation is coming from drop as well.

My main problem is my tear film which is messed up. When I start working on computer, I do not feel the pain or anything for the first few hours. After like 2 hours, I remind myself to put drop. the first drop is fine and after 3th 4th one, I feel like my eyes are drier and I kind feel some discomfort. It is not burning, it is just feel like I have sever dryness and sometimes I get headache.

I have toothpaste like oil based on my doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by dano6533@gmail.com
                      I tried using drops periodically throughout the day and it made things worse for me.
                      My random guess is that it is continually disrupting the fragile tear film. Is this correct? I have no idea.
                      I think it depends on the cause. When I sleep eyes open, no protection. The eyes are so dry, when I put a drop in, it's like putting lotion on cracked hands. It burns, but it's hydrating the cornea.

Then I get burning from using drops too frequently, could be disrupting tear film, or hypertonicity because what's in the drop dries and there are no tears to was that away. If I use my 20% serum too much it burns.

Then I get burning from certain drops...retaine MGD, systane balance, theratears...for some reason I'm super sensitive to everything. I get burning from certain ointments cause of the lanolin.

Comment

Working...
                      X