Advice on nighttime gel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on nighttime gel

My new doc wants me to use Xailin gel at night instead of hylo-forte drops, but I'm concerned that it'll trap inflammation (rather than let it wash away with tears), and because it's quite viscous I'm concerned it'll coat my eyelids and make my MGD worse by interfering with oil coming out in the morning (it takes a few hours after waking up to get rid of the gunky gel feeling). Any thoughts anyone? Anyone have experience with using gels at night with MGD/bleph? My doc also denied there was any evidence goggles help at night, not a good sign maybe?

Also, does anyone know how successfully to put gel in your eye? It's almost impossible to follow the instructions I have.
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Hi Bob, I was using lacrilube at night as presrcibed by my gp, this was for at least a year before I was diagnosed with MGD/Posterior blepharitis. My honest opinion is that it made my problem 10 x worse. I believe it helped bacteria to grow which led to the further inflammation of my meibomian glands. I do not use anything at night anymore, I put coconut oil (tiana from holland and barrett) its natural and antibacrerial and some seeps in to my eyes at night.

I bought moisture chamber goggle for during the night, they cost £100 and did not help and once again I think they exacerbated my problem by giving bacteria a warm moist environment to grow in.

There is no easy way to put gel in, it gets everywhere, the applicator ends up touching your eye ball and with lacrilube it doesnt know when to stop coming out!

Have you got plugs in? What treatment are you on?

Cath
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Hi Bob, I was using lacrilube at night as presrcibed by my gp, this was for at least a year before I was diagnosed with MGD/Posterior blepharitis. My honest opinion is that it made my problem 10 x worse.
      Oh dear, that's a worry.

I believe it helped bacteria to grow which led to the further inflammation of my meibomian glands. I do not use anything at night anymore, I put coconut oil (tiana from holland and barrett) its natural and antibacrerial and some seeps in to my eyes at night.
      Sounds like typical dry eye position, ignore doc who left you in lurch and if whatever you do doesn't work its your fault!

I bought moisture chamber goggle for during the night, they cost £100 and did not help and once again I think they exacerbated my problem by giving bacteria a warm moist environment to grow in.
      Well you certainly can't have a dry eye surface?

There is no easy way to put gel in, it gets everywhere, the applicator ends up touching your eye ball and with lacrilube it doesnt know when to stop coming out!
      Thought not, what a pointless design, wonder if they even test these things.

Have you got plugs in? What treatment are you on?
      No, he said he thought it would pool inflammation. I was on doxy, it wasn't from this doc though I was just in pain and struggling so I decided to try it, but I'm about to run out now and current doc told me to stop, he's ignoring why I took it in first place, as if I can just stop and it'll all me ok!

I don't know what to believe, I don't know if he's any good and I keep getting worse and finding it harder and harder to get by doing more and more things just to survive another day. Sometimes I think it's better to give up and let it get worse so somebody pays attention.
      prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Comment

Working...
      X