Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manuka honey eye drops, helps which type of dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuka honey eye drops, helps which type of dry eye?

Does anyone know what type of dry eye manuka honey eye drops are supposed to help? Is it mainly mgd? My problems mainly inflammation stopping my tear production and oil producing glands working correctly as fine on steroids. Cyclosporine helps but isn't enough on its own. Wondering if these honey drops may help.

Originally posted by Matt0029 View Post
    Does anyone know what type of dry eye manuka honey eye drops are supposed to help? Is it mainly mgd? My problems mainly inflammation stopping my tear production and oil producing glands working correctly as fine on steroids. Cyclosporine helps but isn't enough on its own. Wondering if these honey drops may help.
    I use optimel, it does help mgd and reduce lid margin redness. I think this may have helped me, stings a bit at first but it lasts several hours and makes me eyes comfortable. Doesn't hurt to try well... (ironic saying that, apart from the stinging!) You can get the gel or the eye drops.

Comment

Manuka honey is mostly to treat blepharitis related inflammation. It seems to have helped some with mgd too but probably due to being mostly an anti bacterial effect on the eyes. It helped the tiniest bit of eyelid inflammation but in regards to symptoms nothing really changed. The cost didn’t warrant the tiny amount of reduction in an inflammation nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
        Manuka honey is mostly to treat blepharitis related inflammation. It seems to have helped some with mgd too but probably due to being mostly an anti bacterial effect on the eyes. It helped the tiniest bit of eyelid inflammation but in regards to symptoms nothing really changed. The cost didn’t warrant the tiny amount of reduction in an inflammation nightmare.
        Honey has powerful anti inflammatory properties too!

Comment

For me this is the only thing that has helped. It’s been life changing. I use the Optimel drops and gel, but previously when I just used Manuka honey from a jar it was also extremely helpful. I have eyelid inflammation which has caused dry eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendoji View Post
            For me this is the only thing that has helped. It’s been life changing. I use the Optimel drops and gel, but previously when I just used Manuka honey from a jar it was also extremely helpful. I have eyelid inflammation which has caused dry eye.
            Don’t your eyes go like literally bloodshot? Mine did but it went away, however I felt as if it is a big reason why so many veins came into my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
              Don’t your eyes go like literally bloodshot? Mine did but it went away, however I felt as if it is a big reason why so many veins came into my eyes.
              Yeah they go bloodshot, especially with the gel or pure honey, but that effect is temporary. A little later my eyes feel relieved, hydrated and more white than they’ve been in weeks. I enjoy the burning feeling now because it’s so closely associated with relief for me now lol. It honestly has been like a miracle cure for me. I still have symptoms, but I can wear contact lenses again and can work all day in air conditioned offices with just the Optimel drops 3 times a day and the gel/honey morning and night.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Honey has powerful anti inflammatory properties too!
                My dry eye is inflammatory as steroid make my eye normal again. So guess it maybe worth a go?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt0029 View Post

My dry eye is inflammatory as steroid make my eye normal again. So guess it maybe worth a go?
                  Dry eyes are always inflammatory! Only the causes of inflammation are different for different people. Yes definitely it's worth a try if that doesn't irritate your eyes too much!

Try to find out what's causing the inflammation. Have you tested for autoimmune disease markers (ANF, ANA or RA Factor)?

Also you should get MCGs to arrest evaporative stress.

Comment

I would like to try these drops as well. However I'm worried that they contain preservatives and therefore they may not be suitable for every day long term use

Comment

Think they do a honey gel that are preseveravtive free.

Comment

Hello,
                        Does anyone know what is the difference between Optimel Gel and drops? Which one works better and in which cases?
                        I tried drops for about 2 weeks but then stopped cuz didn't find any results. Perhaps I should have used it longer. But now I found there is also gel available. Perhaps someone knows the benefits of each? Thanks!

Comment

The gel is preservative free.I used it for 3 months and my eyes stayed red for hours after using,so I stopped using it.

Comment

Working...
                          X