Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New much more efficient eye drops available in North America?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New much more efficient eye drops available in North America?

Hi,
    does someone know, if there is a compound pharmacy in the USA-Canada, that is already using the new Novasorb carrier from Novagali in France?
    Novasorb does make it possible, do deliver all kinds of ocular drugs muc more efficiently deep into the ocular surface tissues and into the aqeous humer.
    Up to now, only steroid drops and ointments are able to penetrate the cornea. But due to the adverse side effects, no long term steroid application is possible.
    Now it is possible to add for example Cyclosporine, Tacrolimus, Neltrexone, Birch leaf extract etc. to Novasorb.

The old CyA and TAC drops are being dessolved in castor oil only.
    Like many of us do know, these are burning like hell and the therapeutical efficacy is almost zero.
    In order to treat sussessfully all these ocular surface disorders like:

uveitis anterior, Keratoconjunctivitis sicca, ocular graft versus host,
    ocular SJS-Lyell, many corneal dystrophies, Post lasik etc. Novasorb can be used.

All inflammatory disorders of the ocular surface can be treated much more efficiently, if the working ingredients getting much deeper into the ocular surface structures.

Only these new formulation like prodrugs, liposome, niosomes, nanoemulsion are able to penetrate deep into the superficial tissues.

In the USA Ocusoft will distribute Novasorb.
    So it is necessary to find a compound pharmacy, that will buy Novasorb and then will compound all these ocular drops.

Up to now, we had to order such new CyA drops from one compound pharmacy in germany. But this pharmacy does now getting so many orders, that it takes almost 8 weeks for delivery.

Maybe someone here does know a good compound pharmacy beside Leiters and will be good enough asking them for the Novasorb based new eye drops.
    We only can hope, that novasorb and the compounds will not be very expensive like the other ocular compounds!

Peter

Hi Peter,

This is the first I have heard of this drug. I found this link which gives a bit of a description. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this medication? Is Novasorb (Retaine® MGD™ in the US), really just Cyclosporine in a different carrier? Does it sting the same way as cyclosporine?
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...123820724.html

Comment

Hi,
      no this is a different really new medication!

Please do refer to this article published very recently.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdd/2012/604204/

Novagali has also requested the FDA approval for their Cyclokat CyA eye drops.
      But Cyclokat does only contain 0.05% respect. 0.1% cyclosporine.

That is sufficient for the long term anti inflammatory treatments. But in order to
      suppress acute intensive inflammations of the ocular surface it takes concentrations of up to 1-2% CyA.
      Such drops can only be made by a compound pharmacy. Adding 1-2% to the Novasorb. But we also do need urgently Novasorb based compounds drops of Tacrolimus and Naltrexone to treat successfully the dry eye.

I only do know Leiters in CA and they were not interested to compound better ocular drugs, when I asked them to do so 2 years ago.

Peter

Comment

Peter,

Thank you for you post. You seem so knowledgable. So this is a drop added to whatever other kind of drop such as cya that absorbs into the eye better. I am not seeing where Novagali has requested FDA approval. It sound like if they approve the drop to it can be used to be compounded into any drop not just cya? I know mass eye and ear has a compouunding pharmacy.

Comment

Hi Peter,

Are you a dry eye patient? Have you used drops with Novasorb?
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

http://eyewiretoday.com/view.asp?201...ry_eye_therapy

I don't want to sound dumb but is this what you are talking about? So a compounding pharmacy buys this to make new drops?

Comment

Hi all,
              thank you for replying!
              I don`t know Retain MGD from Ocusoft-Novagali. That is not available in europe up to now. The package insert says working ingredient - mineral oil and the carrier oil-in-water emulsion Novasorb.
              So it is seems to be a lipid layer substitute. Long lasting relief? The other pharma comp also claiming that for Soothe, Systane Balance and Emustil from Italy.
              So we have to give it a try.

Novasorb is a universal drug delivery technology. Improving residence time, bio-availability and much better penetration.

Cationorm drops to treat dry eye is available in europe since 2008.
              It does not contain CyA. The drops Cyclokat-CyA are still under developement.
              I was told, that Cyclokat may be launched in late summer or early winter next year.
              Cyclokat does contain 0.05% or 0.1% CyA dissolved in Novasorb.
              These concentration are too low to treat most severe inflammations in the acute early phase.

Rebecca:
              Novasorb is available here, but without any working ingredients.
              So we here in europe have also to find compound pharmacies, that are ready to add CyA in much higher concentrations, es well as TAC, Naltrexone etc.

Up to now we are applying the liposomal and nanoemulsion CyA drops - up to 2% from germany. The scleral lens wearers do place the clear liposomal CyA drops into our sclerals. That does increase the efficacy substanially. Dr. Rosenthal does recommend this procedure too.
              The MGD patients do use low dosed liposomal CyA to suppress the mild permanent conjunctivitis and especially to keep away the inflammation of the MG orifices.

Peter

Comment

Interesting....

Comment

Peter,

When you say Cylokat will be available late summer or early winter next year do you mean in the US too? My eye Dr. Is a harvard professor not at BFS and works with a compounding pharmacy. I will ask him your questions at my next appointment but it won't be until May. I would like to keep in touch. I am trying to learn about dry eye drugs and you seem to know a lot. Thank you for your post. Keep us updated. I guess you are in Germany. One of my best friends and super kind person is from east germany. Also my German Shepherd is Tanner. My name is Natasha.

Farmgirl,

I was sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad you know what you are fighting. It was kind of you to post help for people with MGD last month. I am serious aquious dificient as I imagine you are too.

Comment

Is this the magic goop we have been waiting for?

Comment

Is there maybe a doctor or fellow dry eye member who can comment on this new eye drop formulation?

Comment

Retain MGD - Lipid drops
                        Hi all,
                        I checked Retain ingredients. It seems, that Retain MGD is identical to Cationorm from Novagali, 0.5% light and heavy mineral oil.
                        So I called some fellow suffers in France.
                        Cationorm is on the french and others markets since 2008.
                        They told me, that nobody in the french dry eye community is enthuastic about Cationorm drops, "the same junk as Sooth XP, Systane Balance and Emustil".
                        Like Sooth XP, the mineral oil does irritate a little bit the ocular surface.
                        Then I had a look at the package of Sooth XP: Relief up to 8 hours!
                        Even not the best ointment does remain on the ocular surface for 8 hours.
                        Some people may benefit from Retain and only trying will show.

Peter

Comment

Hi Natasha,
                          I am a german from switzerland. But since we have all the same language, I am going to germany and austria frequently and have spent many years in germany.
                          Thank you for your kind offer. I only do know dr Jacobs from the BFS, is there also another ophthalmologist?

Peter

Comment

I was just given Cationorm SD yesterday by my doctor here in Germany. (It's the Novagali product here) I am really hoping it works. I feel as though I am at my wits' end. The doctor does not want to do scleral lenses, as he says they're uncomfortable. I am curious about Cyclokat, as well. I think it will be a better product...more effective. Cationorm says it's for mild dry eye...

Comment

Attention: peter56 (&others?). I'm in southern USA. I read your posts here about the FDA maybe would approve cyclokat... for dry eyes (I have MGD/blepharitis). I don't find where that product ever became available, so I wonder if you could tell me what exactly I could ask for from a compounding pharmacy. Also, do you know of such a pharmacy to suggest? Karen

Comment

Working...
                              X