Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new ? on progesterone/testosterone vs. testoterone drops only..thanks!!! :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new ? on progesterone/testosterone vs. testoterone drops only..thanks!!! :)

has anyone had any luck with progresterone/testosterone drops? i called Leiters and they said that drop made in .05% concentration was more popular for dry eye than testosterone at .5% ...
    any feedback from anyone??i am going to try to convince my doc to let me try one but dont know which one??? can anybody offer any advice?? i really appreciate if so! thanks ..Jenny.
    Jenny

///////////////////
    Last edited by hankm9; 29-Oct-2016, 23:52.

Comment

i tried it about 3 years ago and i didnt see any improvement that is why i was looking intot hte drops as some on here have used them... i was hoping maybe someone will see this and give me advice oon their experiences..thank u though for replying!
      Jenny

Comment

I tried the cream progesterone and then testosterone cream. I also tried DHEA eye drops. It did nothing for my inner eyelid inflammation so did not help me.
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

thanks Sazy.. Im assuming you used the cream on your eyelids? i dont know what to ask my doc for .. cream or drops... i tried cream over 3 years ago and it didnt help me either... thanks for replying.i appreciate it.

so what do you use? fish oil? i have heard of maybe GLA in borage oil or primrose oil helping mgd.. not sure though
          Jenny

Comment

Jenny

How did you get the prescription for testosterone cream and where did you get it compounded and what strength?

Comment

Jenny you have tried so many treatments and are light years ahead of many of us. Keep on trying, you'll stumble upon something that works magic.

Comment

I am currently considering the three different formulations that Leiter's offers:
                0.05 testosterone w/ 0.05 progesterone
                0.5 testosterone only (10x stronger, but "grittier")
                0.03 testosterone only

David Sullivan had formerly suggested the 0.03 percentage testosterone only ones

I am just concerned that the progesterone component may not be in my best interest given my severe MGD?

Any comments or thoughts about this from anyone here who has tried either or, would be most appreciated.

Thank you
                Last edited by MGD666; 28-Feb-2014, 12:37.

Comment

I tried 0.5% progesterone with 0.5% testosterone. It didn't help. Beyond that, I can't comment. Best of luck to you.

Comment

In my experience just systematic testosterone worked.

Comment

Thanks for the replies LaDiva and Dog2012

Dog: do you mean systemic? In what vehicle: drop, cream, or ? Percentage of testosterone used? TIA

Comment

Update: I received the 0.03% testosterone drops today compounded by Leiter's and tried an initial drop in one eye...instant relief!
                        This was a substantially soothing effect that no other drop (freshkote, genteal gel, systane balance, you name it) has provided to me in the past few years.
                        The burning I usually feel was greatly reduced. I waited 30 minutes and used a drop in the other eye...again, relief. It's been about 3 hours now and my eyes are feeling better than they have in a long, long time. So, although it's far too early to tell, these do seem to be helping a great deal. My situation and symptoms of course are bound to be different from others (I am a male and have severe MGD as well as an aqueous deficiency) and the root cause of my dry eye problems was my almost 4 years of Propecia use (a seriously f*c#ed up drug if there ever was one). I am excited though, and hope that these testosterone/androgen drops will prove to be of significant help to me. I want to thank Dr. David Sullivan for all of his research and studies on androgen deficiency as it relates to dry eye (as well as the personal time he took to correspond with me), as well as the "controversial" (at least around here apparently) Dr. Panzer who was generous enough to speak with me over the phone in length about his patients' experiences, and answered every question I had. It's true that this is just Day 1 of my experience with this, but if the initial w@w effect is any indication of how this may help me find some relief, I will be elated.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
                          Update: I received the 0.03% testosterone drops today compounded by Leiter's and tried an initial drop in one eye...instant relief
                          What is the testosterone compounded in? Had you ever tried the base on its own before?

Comment

Hi spmcc - It is compounded in an opthalmic solution and is preservative-free - thus, it is advised that it be kept refrigerated. It has a "shelf-life" of 45 days or so. One can either get 3ml or 10ml (both come in a 10ml dropper bottle) with the price difference being approximately $45 for the 3ml, or $92 for the 10ml. Apparently, another compounding pharmacy in Houston (Greenpark) has this available at a significantly reduced cost (around $60 for the 10ml) although I believe theirs is compounded only in the 0.05% ratio.

Not sure what you mean by the "base"? This was my first try with the testosterone drops though.
                            Last edited by MGD666; 08-Mar-2014, 00:30.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
                              Hi spmcc - It is compounded in an opthalmic solution and is preservative-free - thus, it is advised that it be kept refrigerated. It has a "shelf-life" of 45 days or so. One can either get 3ml or 10ml (both come in a 10ml dropper bottle) with the price difference being approximately $45 for the 3ml, or $92 for the 10ml. Apparently, another compounding pharmacy in Houston (Greenpark) has this available at a significantly reduced cost (around $60 for the 10ml) although I believe theirs is compounded only in the 0.05% ratio.

Not sure what you mean by the "base"? This was my first try with the testosterone drops though.
                              My question is about the "ophthalmic solution"... What is it exactly? I ask because it could be this "base" or "vehicle" that is giving you relief. I guess I find it a little weird to put testosterone ON the eye surfaces... The androgen receptors are in the MGs so people mostly use testosterone on their lids (e.g. Connor's T4DE cream and Sullivan's research).

Good luck with this.

Comment

Working...
                              X