This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Particpate in Clinical Study?

I got a letter in the mail today from a company doing a research study on chronic dry eye that's coming to my area. their website is www.eyesdry.com. they're looking for participants and promise free medication, compensation for time and travel, etc. Have any of y'all heard of this website/company? If so please tell me about it. I'm seriously considering calling in to participate in the study if it's not a scam because anything that will help people figure out treatments for dry eye sounds good by me.
    -Amy

Isn't Otsuka the one doing the Rebamipide study?? Not sure about that...
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Amy, how did they get your name? From the internet, from a doctor?

Just curious. You might want to call the number to find out--or perhaps even better, have one of your parents call. This could be legit. There is a long way from being asked to participate in a dry eye study and to actually be accepted. If you're curious, check it out and let us know. How about college......are you going away to school or local to you?

Good luck. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Yes, that's the Rebamipide study. It was developed by Otsuka but has been licensed by Novartis. Do a search on Rebamipide and you'll find lots of threads here. Grandmajane and Erik have both participated.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Amy,

If you have the time and you are willing, I would think the Rebamipide study would be very worthwhile. You may only get the placebo, if you get accepted into the study at all, but it's worth a shot. This drug is the one many of us are watching, and your participation would help the progress. Erik and GrandmaJane both have had interesting things to say about their experiences. It just may be the drug that will help some of us.

Diana
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Amy,

I don't know about this particular study, but I participated in several clinical studies all of which were a positive experience for me. I lucked out and never got the placebos. Some of the beginning of the study was hard but once the drug kicked in it was wonderful, at least for me. I had a wonderful research doctor and call him to this day if I'm having a problem and will gladly fly back to his area to have him check my eyes if I'm not happy with the answers I'm getting.

Yes, they pay your for travel. I got thousands of dollars of medical care for free. You do have to meet specific criteria for each study so if you don't get in this one keep trying. Once they see you are willing they will call again because you are in their data base.

It does take time and dedication, but if you can do it, I would. Some people are benefitting from the studies I was in and I hope more will soon.

Gogo
            GOGO

Comment

From what y'all are saying, as much as i'm interested in doing this clinical study, i think i've decided not to participate in it, atleast for now. I'm qualified to do the study, but I'm taking a lot of different drops right now (restasis, serum drops, refresh, etc.) and it takes up enough of my life already. also, I think I've heard y'all say that this drop is a substitute for restasis, and I wouldn't want to temporarily have to stop taking restasis or something along those lines. I figure adding the extra drop will just take up too much of my time while trying to juggle college and a social life at the same time. college is about 3 hours away for me, and while it is do-able, it might become very stressful.

For anyone that IS interested though, y'all should definately look into it. I think if I weren't going to college, I would definately participate in it and any research finding treatments for dry eye is good research. The letter I got said you have to be atleast 18 years old, and have dealt with dry eye syndrome for six months or more. So anyone else interested should definately check out the website, get their phone number and call. Like Gogo was saying, in the letter they explained that they pay for the travel and medical fees.
              Last edited by Amy09; 21-Aug-2005, 19:57.
              -Amy

Comment

Working...
              X