X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinical Trials: Good News/Bad News

The bad first:

DRY EYE TREATMENT FAILS IN LATE-STAGE STUDY. Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc., says that compared with placebo, its dry eye treatment, diquafosol tetrasodium, did not significantly improve corneal clearing, the trial’s primary endpoint, in its six-week Phase III study. The compound also failed to reach secondary endpoints based on the Ocular Surface Disease Index, but its effect on corneal staining, conjunctival staining and conjunctival clearing was consistent with results of previous late-stage studies, according to Inspire. Patients using diquafosol tetrasodium reported burning or stinging more often than those using the placebo, but Inspire added that the incident rate was less than five percent. Based on these results, the company held a preliminary discussion with the FDA regarding the next step for the drug. Inspire intends to file a New Drug Application amendment for diquafosol tetrasodium by the end of this year’s second quarter.

And now the (potentially) good:

NOVARTIS LICENSES INVESTIGATIONAL DRY EYE TREATMENT. Novartis has in-licensed rebamipide, an investigational treatment for dry eye, from Japan-based Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd. Rebamipide is currently being tested in two Phase III studies in the United States and is expected to demonstrate a novel mechanism of action to enhance tear secretion and increase the levels of mucin covering the conjunctiva and cornea. Under the agreement, Novartis will obtain an exclusive license with the right to sub-license the compound globally, excluding Japan and selected Asian countries. Novartis will pay an upfront fee and annual royalties. The terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Keep those fingers crossed, my friends...

God bless rebamipide. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the update, Erik.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Two interesting sites. If everything is to be believed, it really looks promising. Note how one of these sites mentions lasik......I wish I could get in a study for this!!

http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/000999.html
      http://www.pharma-lexicon.com/medica...p?newsid=19996

Comment

JCorbett,

Thanks for posting those links. I took the time to read them finally. Man, they sure make this drug sound promising. I'd love to know more about how it really works. It's exactly what I need...an increase in mucin production.

I was discussing my eye issues with a very caring aunt of mine not long ago. In crisis mode I told her it could be years before something comes along and makes a difference for me. She responded, "...or it could be tomorrow."

I like her take. Here's hoping!

Dianat
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Rabamipide study

I have been on the clinical study for the drug Rabamipide for 2 months. I don't know if I have the placebo or the real drug. I have not noticed any marked improvement. The drops leave a horrible taste in your mouth for hours at a time. I found red hot candy pieces help with the taste. I will let you know how the study develops

Phyl

Comment

Originally posted by dianat
            In crisis mode I told her it could be years before something comes along and makes a difference for me. She responded, "...or it could be tomorrow."
            Dianat
            I had almost the same experience with Dr. Sall last week. I was freaking out and crying in his office (something I tend to do a lot of these days) and I was asking him how could doctors be able to transplant hearts and supply artificial arms and legs, but not be able to help or stop a simple case of dry eyes.
            He said "I'm sure something will come along in your lifetime"
            I was like, "My lifetime!..I'm pretty young, that could be a very long time!"
            His response was.."Well, that's better than never, right?"
            Hmmm...something to think about!

Comment

Working...
            X