This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried DHEA eyedrops?

I have found that if I rub DHEA cream onto my eyelids in the morning, my severe dry eye feels somewhat better that day. However, I can only do this once or twice a week due to bad skin irritation of the eyelid.

I have also found out that there is an eyedrop that can be compounded in 2 pharmacies, LeiterRX and Apothecary; they formulate DHEA eyedrops.

Here is an excerpt:
    For information about DHEA see, for example, "Cornea: New Studies May Help Allergy and Dry Eye Sufferers," an article in Review of Optometry (search for DHEA to find this article, dated May 15, 2002), which states: "Researchers at Southern College of Optometry in Memphis, Tenn., compared the efficacy of artificial tears to tears supplemented with DHEA (a steroid hormone with 5% the androgenic activity of testosterone) ... test results improved with DHEA-supplemented tears. Dry eye patients may benefit from the addition of androgenic hormones to artificial tears."

I think I'm going to ask my eyedoctor about trying this. Anyone else tried this? This would probably be especially effective in Sjogren's patients due to androgen insufficiency in this group, as I have read.

Here is more info.... from www.agingeye.net

Androgen Eyedrops
    Allergan is currently testing in clinical trials in the USA and Europe the efficacy of topical androgens for the treatment of dry eye.
    Androgen deficiency may be a critical etiologic factor in the pathogenesis of aqueous-deficient and evaporative dry eye syndromes during menopause, aging and certain autoimmune diseases. The use of androgen eyedrops may correct the hormonal deficiency and thus treat dry eyes.

Androgens regulate numerous aspects of the lacrimal gland, including epithelial cell morphology, gene expression, protein synthesis, secretory processes and immune function. Women with Sjögren's syndrome have an androgen deficiency, and this hormone deficit may predispose to lacrimal gland dysfunction, decreased tear secretion and aqueous-deficient dry eye.

Meibomian glands are an androgen target organ. Androgens appear to regulate meibomian gland function, improve the quality and/or quantity of lipids produced by this tissue and promote the formation of the tear film's lipid layer. Androgen deficiency during menopause or aging is associated with meibomian gland dysfunction, tear film instability and an increase in dry eye signs and symptoms. (Reference: Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol. 2004 Feb;79(2):49-50).

Comment

Working...
    X