DHEA drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHEA drops

I saw my ophthalmologist today who reported that my tear film was "moderate," my meibomian glands were "fair" (not as stopped up as they used to be), and I had only a few small areas of dryness that showed up with the stain. All good news, but I am not as good as I'd like to be, so....

He mentioned that he recently arranged with a pharmacy to produce DHEA drops but hadn't found the the right patient to try them out on. I volunteered to be his guinea pig, as I figure that they won't *hurt* and might take my improvements up another notch. What the heck, right?

The pharmacy is a haul from my house, but when I called them they told me that they could mail the drops to me. Yea! This is because they are mixed using olive oil as a base. No preservatives or other weird ingredients.

I'm wondering how they are normally formulated, if there have been studies using different formulations, and if anyone has any thoughts about putting olive oil in one's eye.

Because that info definitely gave me pause.

Teri

Well, I'm sure it must be a pharmaceutical grade olive oil, so I cannot imagine there to be anything wrong with it in terms of health.

I would suggest, however, simultaneously using vinegar to rinse your hair (I hear it cuts nicely through any build-up). A nice salt water bath would also be nice to soothe your tired muscles.

Hold a carrot in your teeth and really, you could offer your husband the irresistible presentation of a tossed-salad.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Teri View Post
      I saw my ophthalmologist today who reported that my tear film was "moderate," my meibomian glands were "fair" (not as stopped up as they used to be), and I had only a few small areas of dryness that showed up with the stain. All good news, but I am not as good as I'd like to be, so....

He mentioned that he recently arranged with a pharmacy to produce DHEA drops but hadn't found the the right patient to try them out on. I volunteered to be his guinea pig, as I figure that they won't *hurt* and might take my improvements up another notch. What the heck, right?

The pharmacy is a haul from my house, but when I called them they told me that they could mail the drops to me. Yea! This is because they are mixed using olive oil as a base. No preservatives or other weird ingredients.

I'm wondering how they are normally formulated, if there have been studies using different formulations, and if anyone has any thoughts about putting olive oil in one's eye.

Teri

Here is an article about olive oil vs. castor oil in eyedrops.

http://www.iovs.org/cgi/content/full/48/11/5000

Comment

Originally posted by Teri View Post

Teri
        I'll be the next guinea pig! Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

Why not try looking into taking actual DHEA tablets?

DHEA - a mild androgen is available over the counter in the states and in Canada by prescription, Androgens regulate meiboman gland function - you might possibly be able to supplemt with DHEA to imporve the function. Symptoms of DHEA deficiency may include persisting fatigue, depression, anxiety, hypersensitivity to noise, loss of libido, dry eyes, skin, and hair, and loss of head hair.
          Last edited by Aaron77; 26-Apr-2009, 23:37.

Comment

As a woman, I am reluctant to consider taking systemic male hormones. And my blood hormone levels are all within normal ranges.

So I'm going to give the topical meds a trial first before considering something that would affect my whole body, although I admit that I have not done any research into DHEA supplements. Maybe women can take it without growing a beard?

Thanks for throwing out the idea, though! I'll file it away in the back of my mind.

Teri

Comment

Hi Teri- I have been tempted to try these too. I think that tablets in 25mg is ok and shouldnt deepen our voices or cause funny hair growth! I like the idea also because dhea is supposed to help with a wide number of things....maybe its worth a shot, eh?

Comment

Working...
              X