Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've been using my DHEA drops for about 3 weeks now and honestly I don't see any difference in my eyes. I'm very upset about this because they were a nothing else has worked last resort kind of thing. I'll keep using them for a while though. Maybe one day I'll wake up and be magically dry eye free!!

A girl can dream can't she?

Comment

my experience so far

I have been on the DHEA-S drops for a little over a week and I do notice a difference. Not super huge, but an improvement. At this point, any improvement I guess is big. I have been able to decrease the amount of time I am wearing my goggles over my glasses while in my house. This is a great thing. I have also decreased other drops I am putting in my eyes. I am not sure what the other components are in the drops, but since I am using those 4 times a day and Restasis 2 times a day, they might be covering what I used to put in. I am still using other drops, but not quite as much. I do still have to use the goggles if the furnace is on a lot and I am watching TV. I will take any improvement I can get!

I have to say that when I first started using these, they really burn a lot - about like putting soap in your eye. I notice if I shake them up for about a minute, the stinging generally isn't as bad. It seems to depend if I get larger crystals in my eyes. That's why the shaking seems to break those up. Honestly I can take the stinging if they help me. I just hope they continue to do so. I am wondering if they will continue to improve or if this is the best they will get. I will be interested in seeing how I do in a store with blasting air and in air conditioned environments.

Has anyone had their drops compounded by anyone other than Leiters? My insurance will cover them if I use a participating pharmacy, but I am wondering if the drops would be the same even if they are for the same prescription strength. It is the extra ingredients I wonder about.

I update my experience with the drops as time goes on.

dryeyes2

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyes2 View Post

Has anyone had their drops compounded by anyone other than Leiters?
        I am getting the drops from a local compounding pharmacy in Dallas. Don't have them yet, but i'll post a report after I give them a few weeks.

bassfan

Comment

If people dont get any luck with DHEA drops, i recommend getting a script for progesterone cream as thats the only thing that helped my eyes so far. And yes i tried DHEA drops a while back..and nothing.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

my thought

I wonder if those who are not helped by the DHEA-s drops are ones who don't have low androgen levels? Younger people perhaps? That is my guess why it isn't working for some.

dryeyes2

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyes2 View Post
              I wonder if those who are not helped by the DHEA-s drops are ones who don't have low androgen levels? Younger people perhaps? That is my guess why it isn't working for some.

dryeyes2
              It makes sense that those whose dry eye is partly caused by by lowering androgen levels (women around menopause) are more likely to benefit from DHEA eye drops or testosterone cream than younger women or males. So progesterone cream which works by reducing inflammation in the M glands- doesn't require you to have lowered hormone levels so should help anyone who may have inflammation blocking the flow of oil:

quote from argentis:
              The cross-reactivity between progesterone and corticosteroid receptors in the ocular region is believed to activate corticosteroid anti-inflammatory activity in the glands and on the ocular surface, restoring normal aqueous and lipid production
              Also i think the creams have are more direct access to the MG's so could be better in that way.

Any doctor with a DEA number can prescribe the cream. There is a pharmacist in Memphis who compounds the cream and will ship it anywhere in the US if you can get a doctor to call the prescription into the pharmacy at 901-682-2273. You want 5% testosterone cream applied to the eyelids twice a day. I have found for males, putting the cream on a cotton swab and applying to the eyelid margins works best. The success rate is lower with males than females. if you are unable to get a local optometrist , family physician or ophthalmologist to call in the Rx then it may be worth a trip to Memphis. The cream is not a cure, based on patient perception the cream reduces symptoms about 50%. I have had two people who contacted me who had LASIK and felt benefit , they got the cream from their family physician. Hope this is helpful.
              found the above quote on the medical news section, from Dr connor..

This makes sense to me, it has probably improved my eyes- 30-40%. It seems like inflammation is secondary of something else, the 'something else' causes dry eye and inflammation but the secondary inflammation makes dry eye worse, thats why the cream like he said doesnt restore normal function, but only restores it to a point.
              Last edited by sazy123; 29-Jan-2008, 12:25.
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

To JPriven and anyone else who has had success with dhea drops

Hello,

I seem to be having some success with the drops and I was wondering about others who have too. The longer you use the drops, do you see increased improvement or does it just get to a certain point where there is some improvement, but not getting back to normal? Do you ever notice that the drops stop helping?

I have been on it almost 2 weeks now. I have been able to decrease wearing goggles over my glasses in my house by about 98%. I was wearing them all the time. I have also decreased other drops in my eyes other than Restasis by about 95%. (of course I am using this drop 4 times a day and Restasis 2 times) This is huge improvement for me so far, but I can tell that my eyes are still not back to normal. I can still feel dryness, it is just more tolerable. At night I have more problems with it, but still it is much more managable. I have also wondered if there is just something in the drop other than the dhea-s that is helping vs the actual substance itself.
                I am hoping that I will continue to improve, but I am not sure what to expect. I would appreciate any feedback.
                Thanks.
                dryeyes2

Comment

I may have spoken too early

Today has not been as good as the last several. I am not sure if it because the furnace has been on more or what. My eyes are more dry. I haven't put on my goggles, but this evening I may have to. I am not sure why I was doing better and then it went backwards again.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
                  dryeyes2

Comment

Question- has anyone using the DHEA drops noticed little white bits in the solution that look sort of like curdled milk? Have my drops gone bad and should I stop using them? I've had them for 25 days and the label says they should be discarded after 30 days. I keep them in the fridge and shake them before use as the directions say to.

Comment

drops

Hi Alexa Ruth,

I believe those are crystals. You have to shake the bottle a lot to get those to disperse. I found when I first started using them, if I didn't shake it enough they stung more. Now I shake the bottle about a minute before putting them in my eyes. They still sting, but not as bad.

Also when I first opened the bottle, when I pushed out what was in the dropper, that is what it looked like was curdled milk.

If you are still concerned, give the pharmacy a call.

dryeyes2

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm seeing the doc again this Friday and will probably get another bottle. Can't hurt to try them for another month, can it?

Comment

i understand you used Optimunne ,i want to try it too.so please tell me if it,s well tolerated and if you had side effects from it..i tried Restasis and it burns a lot and i feel it like a poiso in my nose,who,s already damaged and dry too & mouth too.I am on autolougous serum drops( i finally found only one doctor in my country / Romania/ who does this treatment ) and Restasis,but it seems something is wrong,because i have great pains...the eyes are not so red,but the pains and burning are intolerable and i really don,t know it,s from Restasis,ASD,their conbination or both... i have Sogren disease and i was not able to tolerate ANY artificial tears / gels/ ointments...all made my eyes even dryer and produced pains,some of them even allergies... about the hormones involvement in dry eyes disease i,m absolutely certain it,s true,because my condition got worse after menopause. And rhe androgens play an important role in dry eyes,but it,s about testosteron ,not DHEA( which is a precursor of sexual hormones) I wished i knew if DHEA eye drops are working ,i wish i knew if somebody makes testosteron eye drops and if some of you tried these drops .thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X