Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new plug and still red after 5 days..normal???and i can feel it? help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new plug and still red after 5 days..normal???and i can feel it? help?

i got an upper plug cause my right eye now decided to go super dry on me.. the eye is still dry even tho im double plugged. the upper puncta was dilated and the doc put in a plug last wed.. well the area is still red if i look in a magnifying mirror & i can feel the plug if i move my eye around.. Is this normal? my doc is out of town-i could see one of his colleages but i hate to go back in if this is going to settle down soon..

anyone else ever experience this? does it mean the plug is too large? has anyone had a puncta stay red this long after a plug put in ?? thanks!
    Jenny

Hi Jenny:

The first plugs I got were uppers. One went in really slick, the other was too small so he chose a larger one. It hurt going in and he needed about 3 tries to get it there. Afterwards I could really feel it for about 3 days I even went back but he said that was normal and that it would settle down. Honestly I didn't even look at it in the mirror so I couldn't tell you if it was red or not but I can tell you that they bothered me the whole time that they were in. It felt like I had something in my eye and when my eyes would get sore towards evening they felt like they were scratching my eyeballs. I had them for about 6 months and I couldn't wait to get them out. They didn't really help. Not until I had both uppers and lowers done did I notice a difference. I am going wed to get the top ones cauterized...wish me luck, I am nervous...F/G

Comment

thanks.. i had my upper left cauterized but it came open 2x within one year..so now i just have a plug in it and its doing great.. the right eye-another story.. if i feel this way tomorrow i may make an apt for tomorrow to go in

good luck with your cautery!! its always something! ps.. cautery isnt that bad.mine just came back open but it doesnt hurt ..they numb uu pretty good!
      Jenny

Comment

Jenny,

I had plugs a while ago and I remember having a foreign body sensation for a few days, but it eventually settled down. Granted, these were lower plugs; I've never had uppers, so maybe it's different. If it's still red after 5 days, I would be a little concerned about infection. Make sure there's no discharge or pus and that you aren't running a fever. I would think you would be used to it by now since you're a pro at plugs. If it's still bothering you after another day or two I would definitely have a follow up by the end of the week, even if you have to see another dr.

Farmgirl: The cautery will go fine. I had my lowers cauterized and it made a huge difference in my dry eye signs/symptoms and overall quality of life. Best (health-related) decision I ever made! It'll be two years this September and both of mine are still closed.

Comment

Thanks willworkfortears, that is comforting to hear. I hope they don't keep coming open like Jenny's...F/G

Comment

me 2.. other people on here have had them open too but then some people have them done and its been like 15 years.. good luck to you! you gotta try!
            Jenny

Comment

went to eye doc... it is just slightly rubbing when i look to the left.. other than that redness down-eye looks fine.. if its still bothering me by my next apt with the specialiast he suggested i get cautery.. i explained how the cautery in my left eye opened 2x and he simply said "Dr. C knows how to do cautery correctly".. so i will keep everyone posted... thinkim just more dry in this eye cause sjogrens decided to play a big trick on me..

farmgirl.good luck with ur cautery.. its not a big deal.. keepu us posted...
              Jenny

Comment

HI Jenny and willwork4tears. FYI I had the cautery done today. It was tolerably painful but WOW I look like I went a couple of rounds with Mohammed Ali, by the looks of me, he won! I reminded my husband that he took me for better or for worse but I don't recall ugly. The worse of it is I have to leave in 2 days for a three day car tour...yikes. I guess I'll just keep the dark glasses on and give peep shows of the eyes. I am afraid they will be swollen shut in the morning since eyes get puffy overnight at the best of times. Oh well, this too will pass. Thanks for the encouragement. I am glad though that I didn't have all 4 done like I was originally going to do....cheers...F/G

Comment

I´ve had the same experience. On friday i had punctum plugs inserted in the lower ´gaps´. I felt them constantly and my eyelids got red and swollen. Went back on monday. The doctor said it was not normal and removed them on my request. Got Trafloxal eyedrops (Antibioticum). Wondering what to do next. How is everything going with you now?

Comment

Working...
                  X