This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors don't want to put plug in my eyes

Hello! I have really dry eyes (according to the schirmer test today: 1 for left and 2 for right ) and my eyes burn and pain all the time. I put lower plug(smart plug) about 1 month ago, I can feel a small
    water pool in left eye after putting drop, however, after one week, the effect just go away. Then I visited 3 different doctors and ask if i can put 4 plugs(other type of plugs instead of smart plug) in my eyes, they all said it would increase the chance of infection and it is not worth to do that.
    My questions are as follow:
    1. Would it be an improvement if I put plugs in all my tear ducts ?
    2. How do you think about the infection and plugs ?
    3. How to persuade doctor to put 4 plugs for me ?

So desperate ! I just want some relief !

Carol

You should THANK those doctors that said no. I had smart plugs put in and now I have canaliculitis (infection) in both tear ducts that won't respond to antibiotics because the plug is the source of the infection. I am in the process of finding an oculoplastic surgeon to have them surgically removed. I've had an infection for almost a year now. If the plugs are still in the tear duct, I'm lucky, but if they have migrated into the lacrimal sac, I have to have a DCR surgery. This is a bypass of your tear ducts that go thru your nose. Look up DCR surgery and you'll never think of having a punctal plug EVER AGAIN.

Comment

Working...
    X