Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flow Controller Punctal Plugs - Anyone tried them? - How much do they cost?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow Controller Punctal Plugs - Anyone tried them? - How much do they cost?

In a previous thread that I started titled "Too Many Tears - What Can I Do?", DCRdryeye and Robster suggested that I try Flow Controller Punctal Plugs
    (link: http://www.dryeye.org/flow.htm).

I have a number of questions about the plugs:

1. Has anyone tried them? If so, how did they work for you?
    2. How do you decide on which size to get?
    3. Would you recommend I use them to plug the upper or the lower ducts?
    4. How much do they cost?
    5. Does anyone know if I'll have any problems getting them in Canada?

Here's a snippet of info I found on determining the size:
    "Depending on the type of punctal plug selected, your eye doctor first may use a special instrument to measure the size of your tear duct openings (puncta). This helps determine the proper size of the punctal plug needed to block drainage within the channel and to keep it securely in place."
    (link: http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...ctal-plugs.htm)

Unfortunately as far as I know my doctor doesn't have this device, so I might just have to guess.

Hi Tankie,

1. I know someone in Vancouver who has them. I'll email her with your email address if you permit.
    2. Your doctor measured you for the plugs you have now so he'll know the size you need (esp if the ones you just got are fine).
    3. Your problem with epiphora started when you plugged the uppers (with the lowers already closed), correct? So you could just replace your newest plugs with the flow controllers.
    4. Cost is going to differ by location and perhaps by doctor. You'll need to ask your doctor how much the plugs cost. You could even price shop by calling some Lasik places too.
    5. Yes, flow controller plugs are available in Canada.

Cheers.

Comment

1. Absolutely I permit. Please feel free to email her. I'm actually going to be moving to Vancouver in a few weeks when I start my new job so maybe we can meet up.
      2. O I didn't realize he did that. Great!
      3. Wow I didn't know there was a word for tear overflow, epiphora. But yes, this started when the uppers were plugged. This was my plan as well, I was planning on plugging the uppers with the flow controllers, but I just wanted to check what other people thought. Thanks!
      4. Fair enough. I was just hoping for a ball park, such as $50, $100, $250, $500, or $1000. But I'll figure this out soon enough.
      5. Great! If not, I'll only be 5 minutes from the boarder once I move anyway.

Thanks Sheila, you're always a life saver to me =)

Comment

1. I've sent your email address to the person who has flow controller plugs.

2. If the flow controller plugs need some other measuring tool, your doctor (if he cares about doing a good job) will make sure to measure you with the right tool for the particular plug. If he doesn't have the tool, he should get it before ordering the plugs for you. The manufacturers of plugs want doctors to use their plugs. Therefore the tools that doctors need to fit plugs are given to doctors. The manufactures are going to make it as easy as possible for doctors to fit their plugs... and they want patients to be as happy as possible (or the doctor, if he gets lots of complaints, may never use the plugs again).

3. The difference between plugs in the lower versus upper puncta usually is comfort, and that depends on the person and their punta. It's more likely that plugs in the upper puncta aggravate because the plugs point towards the surface of the eye. If your current plugs in the upper puncta don't annoy you, then the flow controllers shouldn't either.

4. Cost won't be much (if any) different from the usual silicone plugs. I don't believe it will be much more than ~$150 per plug (which I believe is what you paid for your new plugs). Hopefully you'll get more info via email.

5. Oh being close to the border is sooooo good! Congrats on the job and move. I'm jealous... I'd like to get off the Island too!

Comment

Thank you. I'm very excited about it, moving to the big city =)

And yes, I paid $125/plug + HST... came to $250 + $30 = $280

Comment

You'll need to find a good doctor on the mainland. If you let me know which area, we can find the best dry eye doctor for you.

Comment

I sent you an email, thanks. I need to find a GP too if you happen to know of one.

I don't mind commuting across the Greater Vancouver Area if it means I get a quality doctor, so really if you know of a really good one, I'm happy to see him/her, regardless of which region he's/she's in.

So... has anyone actually tried these plugs before? If not, perhaps I'll have to be the first to bite the bullet.
              Last edited by Tankie; 30-Dec-2012, 07:06.

Comment

I am awarew of anumber of practices here in the US that use the plugs regularly and claim to have very happy patients with the achieved result.

Comment

Excellent, I'm happy to hear it.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a way of determining what size the hole in the middle should be? I would imagine it depends on the rate at which I produce tears.

Comment

From what I know about flow controllers, you don't pick the size hole in the middle. The only measurement you need is the right size plug for your punctum.

I'm getting an email ready for you...

Comment

Working...
                    X