This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cauterize top or bottom; it's decision time

Okay, so here's an update on my eye. I'm the idiot who had her right punctas cut open by a surgeon last year which gave me Instant Dry Eye on one side. I've tried Restasis twice now. First time stopped because lower lid swelled extremely and inside was blood-red. Waited several months then tried again. I stopped the instant my lower lid started to get red. Since I've stopped the Restasis my eye feels much much worse (I'm having more burning sensation than ever), but I don't think I can do the restasis due to the lid swelling reaction. Wish I could. I don't think it's the castor oil causing the reaction, because I'm able to use Refresh Optive Advanced without problems. (Unless maybe the Restasis castor oil concentration is much higher than the optive's...anybody know about that?)

For my cautery I am left to decide between the experienced surgeon who messed me up in the first place, or the younger guy who listens better but I'm not sure is as experienced. I'm planning to go with the younger guy. Listening trumps experience I think.

I want some advice from you all, though. When I had temporary collagen plug inserted in the upper punctum, it only helped a tiny bit, although I did wake up the next morning without morning dryness. When I had the temporary inserted in the lower punctum, things felt much better and still no epiphora. But I understand that cautery closes things up more completely than temporary plugs. So, do I have him cauterize the lower since that's the one that felt better to me? Or do I have him cauterize the upper, since cautery closes things up more fully than temporary plugs and thus the effect would be magnified compared to the plugs? I don't have severe severe dry eye (TBUT of 5 and Shirmer's is 4), so I think closing them both would be too much for me. At this point the docs just tell me it's up to me to say when and where. What's your advice, folks?
Working...
X