This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patientpatrick View Post
    I believe my puncta was measured. The doc keeps an electronic record of all the plugs put in. To be honest I think some of them fell out during lid massages. I've considered cautery but one of the docs i've been seeing is totally against it. He believes that it may alter the shape of my eyelid and it could cause a cascading effect of inflammation. At this point I don't want to risk anything permanent. Also, I have a nagging feeling that since my schrimer scores are lower since I've been quadra plugged, they may increase if i have them removed somewhere down the line. At least that's my hope.
    Patrick I have the Super Eagle plugs in size small. Here is the link to the different types (disregard if you already saw) and may provide you with some options you could show your doctor. I will say that my "good eye" doesn't feel this plug at all, but it does feel like a bit of sand is in my left eye, the bad one. I understand there is an adjustment period so I will give it a little time.

http://www.dryeye.org/plugs.htm

Comment

Patrick, I think all of mine came out during lid massage, but now I use a Q-tip for expression, and that could also have made a difference in the plugs not falling out.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
        Patrick, I think all of mine came out during lid massage, but now I use a Q-tip for expression, and that could also have made a difference in the plugs not falling out.
        I used to use a q-tip also - plugs stayed in But, I also did not express close enough to the plug to feel any movement there... I was paranoid about making it come come out.

Comment

Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
          Ok-sorry to seem like a worrywart, but were your eyes red for several days after getting plugged?
          Mine were not red for several days after the plugs. It is possible that the plugs are touching the eye and irritating it. If they feel at all scratchy or like Patrick describes like sand then that is a distinct possibility. I will say however that at one point I was having HUGE problems with redness and veins and it turned out I was allergic to the Theratears Gel I was putting in at night. It might be a good idea to swap out your drops for a different kind for a few weeks and see if that helps if the plugs are comfortable.....F/G

Comment

I am also quad plugged. I am ATD, sudden onset last summer, 33 Y/O male, TBUT of 0 at my worst. When I decided to fully plug my uppers it went really well except that my left eye was overflowing too much. The right eye overflowed a couple of times during the day but that was not a big deal. During this time my eyes felt completely normal. Unfortunately, both of them fell out after about three weeks and when I went back to the doctor I decided to try flow control plugs in my uppers. Both flow controls have stayed in, my left eye is great, almost completely normal and doesn't overflow anymore. I can look in the mirror and see a really thick tear film layer no matter the environment. However, my right eye is still giving me issues and I realize now I should have stuck with the full plug in my right eye. My right eye was fine in Oklahoma but I think I started up an inflammation cycle in my right eye when I moved back to Michigan to finish my degree, am working on getting that back under control. Unfortunately, I am back at school, away from my normal optometrist and am therefore resorting to drops and goggles to get me through the next month.

Comment

I'm glad most of you had luck with plugs. I had to get mine removed yesterday (in for a week and I was a mess). More than likely a backup inflammation situation--tons and tons of big red veins and burning along with red rimmed eyelids. Eyes looked a little better after they were out. I've got to get this crazy inflammation under control. You'd think with steroid drops, lots of krill oil, warm compresses, Oasis tears, and the works that they still wouldn't look like this. I tell ya, it's exhausting. Could be worse, but it sure wears ya down...Guess it's a request for serum 100%--even 75% burned me, maybe some compounded Restasis (that stuff feels like acid), and doxy. That's all I've got left I think.

Comment

Someone, I cannot remember who, suggested there is an order to treatment, and this seems right. I think it depends on the individual. I had horrible inflammation when my eyes were initially plugged, and is was also bad after the first three sets of plugs came out. I used no plugs for about a year and a half, maybe longer, and during that time got the inflammation better under control. It takes a long time, and the answer is probably different for each of us. Big keys for me were stress reduction and diet. I also discovered that most of what I was putting in my eyes wasn't helping the situation, but making it worse. Best of luck to you. If you haven't tried cutting inflammatory foods and some kind of stress reducing activity you might consider these. It seems our eyes take up most of the hours in a day. Best wishes to you.

Comment

Thanks, LaDiva. Good to know I'm not the only one who had a strange inflammatory situation with plugs. You are right--stress and overdoing it (including computer use) can absolutely cause a flareup!

Comment

Working...
                  X