Low schirmers score thinking of trying plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low schirmers score thinking of trying plugs

Hey I have been having symptoms of dry eye for around a year. Though it seem to be getting worse. I went for an assement at a clinic they said my oil producing glands were pretty good around 60℅ working. Some on the corner of my eyes were blocked through. My tear break up time was over 10 seconds. I already do hot compresses. And lid hygiene, well have for the last 3 months. I had a low schirmers score though 5 in the right eye and 9 in the left. I have had limited success with drops. They recommend plugs may be the best course of action. If the drops aren't stopping my flare ups which they don't seem to be. Would anymore think plugs may be a good option with the kind of schirmers score I have, it looks like my dry eye is caused by low tear production. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Matt
    I dont have plugs but I know they are helpful (easily remove too), only if you do NOT have inflammation issue.
    If you have inflammation - to get it under control is most important.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by MGD1701; 26-Jul-2017, 15:21.

Comment

Thanks, any easy way of finding out if you have an inflammation issue? Are plugs situatable, helpful for mild to moderate cases of dry eye? I am thinking of trying the 3 month dissolvable plugs first are there less risks with these type?

Comment

If you have really low tear production, it's quiet hard to get rid of inflammation. I actually have the same Schirmer scores and the last 2 months have been hell on earth for me. I'm taking Restasis for 2 weeks now and I'm starting to see improvement.
        So get your glands working as good as possible, try to find drops that work best for YOU and get steroid or ciclosporine drops for stopping the inflammation. Then try out lower tear duct plugs, they are easily removable if you're not satisfied.

Comment

Thank you can I ask what your schirmers scores were? Was possible talk of trying the dissolvable plugs first. Much point trying these before Perminant ones?

Comment

Are they less risks with the dissolvable plugs? Although there only temporary.

Comment

My Schirmer scores are exactly like yours. Plugs are always temporary afaik. They can be taken out by your doctor anytime you want. It's just a silicon plug and I don't know of any risks.

Comment

Thanks they were on about trying the dissolvable ones first. Is any score under 10 a sign of dry eye on the schirmers test? Are you still using lubricating drops after the plugs?

Comment

Are plugs a good idea for people with moderate dry eye? Sure I hear it said before that the were just for severe cases? Am interested in trying them but scared of making matters worse.
                  Last edited by Matt0029; 27-Jul-2017, 13:45.

Comment

You have nothing to lose by trying them as long as they are removable, they will not make you worse. Plugs are my best friend to the point that I had the uppers permanently cauterized. I will never be without them. I tried uppers, didn't help. I tried lowers, didn't help. I tried uppers and lowers and have never looked back....F/G

Comment

I second what Farmgirl said. Having all 4 puncta helped me a lot. In fact, I think it reduced inflammation since it enable tears to collect and stick around longer on my ocular surface, making it less dry, so less inflammation overall. Try plugs and see how they are - just make sure they're either temps, or permanents that have caps (so they can be removed if necessary).

I now have all 4 of my puncta cauterized shut and love it.

Anyhow, talk to your doc and see what they think... but don't stress over trying plugs... a skilled doctor will make the procedure very easy on you

Comment

Working...
                      X