Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lowers cauterized and uppers plugged.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt0029 View Post
      I have a plug in my right eye lower duct. My left eye I had a problem with a plug it was inserted too far in to the duct and my doc had to cut the duct to try get it out but he couldn't get to it. So it in apparently lodged in there somewhere, Not sure though as my left eye is the drier of the two and hasn't felt as moist as it did with a plug in place. if its in there somewere it doesn't seem to be blocking the draining as much as a plug that was correctly placed did if at all. It mainly the left eye I am looking at cautery if doing one eye is possible. My eye left tear duct opening is obviously in larged from being cut open. I at 30. Started if dry eye about 2-3 years ago. Which got worse till I needed steroid eye drop and now just ikervis.
      I would be surprised if a doctor was willing to cauterize if you told them there was a plug possibly still in there for fear of being blamed for complications. I've had plugs inserted too deep before and they usually would get itchy, inflamed and then I was able to pushed them back out again. That being said it is possible I could still have one or two still in there that I haven't noticed over the last six years since sometimes it's hard to know for sure if a plug fell "out" or possibly fell "in?" Anyways if it were me I would probably wait a good amount of time till I was confident that it wasn't going to get infected and that I didn't feel anything weird before considering cauterizing over it. However, from most of the posts I've read cauterized punctum have a great tendency to reopen if not done well. I remember reading several people recommending to have the doctor suture the tear ducts closed along with cauterizing to be sure it was closed for good.

http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...gs-have-helped

It really depends on where the plug is located. Can you feel it near the tear duct? If so it might only be in a little ways and if infected would probably push out rather easily whether cauterized or not. If however it's fair inside and gets infected they could possibly try flushing it out with saline if it wasn't cauterized. But would probably push for surgery either way cause they can make more money that way. The third possibility is it might have migrated it's way through and is no longer in there if you no longer feel it.

Comment

Thank you they tried to remove it after it was pushed too far in. They cut the tear duct open abit more to try get it. But they couldn't find it. I think it has pushed through as the eye feels dryer than it did with a plug in place. Hence why I want cautery in that eye really as I now have a large punctum opening after they tried to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          I would ask them if they can provide any information on risks of cauterizing if a plug is lodged in there somewhere, for example, if that plug causes issues down the road will the cauterization make it harder to treat?
          Is there any way of telling if the plug is in there? I'm not so sure it is as my eye has felt a lot dryer since they cut the punctum to try remove the plug that had migrated. I have quiet a large opening now because of this and the eye seems to be drier. Looking at wanting to try cautery in that eye because if the plug isn't there I just have a large opening in to my lower duct making it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by PRK View Post

I would be surprised if a doctor was willing to cauterize if you told them there was a plug possibly still in there for fear of being blamed for complications. I've had plugs inserted too deep before and they usually would get itchy, inflamed and then I was able to pushed them back out again. That being said it is possible I could still have one or two still in there that I haven't noticed over the last six years since sometimes it's hard to know for sure if a plug fell "out" or possibly fell "in?" Anyways if it were me I would probably wait a good amount of time till I was confident that it wasn't going to get infected and that I didn't feel anything weird before considering cauterizing over it. However, from most of the posts I've read cauterized punctum have a great tendency to reopen if not done well. I remember reading several people recommending to have the doctor suture the tear ducts closed along with cauterizing to be sure it was closed for good.

http://forum.dryeyezone.com/forum/dr...gs-have-helped

It really depends on where the plug is located. Can you feel it near the tear duct? If so it might only be in a little ways and if infected would probably push out rather easily whether cauterized or not. If however it's fair inside and gets infected they could possibly try flushing it out with saline if it wasn't cauterized. But would probably push for surgery either way cause they can make more money that way. The third possibility is it might have migrated it's way through and is no longer in there if you no longer feel it.

I cant feel it no, they cut my punctum so they could see/ fish deeper in to get it out but they couldn't find it. I now have a large punctum opening from were it was cut. Which if the plug isn't there will be making my dry eye worse. My eye has felt drier since this, which was about 6months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt0029 View Post

Is there any way of telling if the plug is in there?
              Not definitively, no.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks it appears to be quiet abit drier then when it had a plug in it. May have to look in to cautery my eyes have been getting drier and drier since stopping the steroid drops,

Comment

Working...
                X