Persistent infection after plug removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persistent infection after plug removal

I had my lower right puntum plugged for about 2 years until I got an infection in that eye. It's been about a year since then and I just can not get rid of the infection in my right eye. I have taken 2 courses of steroid drops and 1 course of antibiotic drops with limited improvement. Has anyone had this problem before?

The infection feels like something is poking me in the corner of my right eye, followed by burning pain. (My doctor has ruled out Trichiasis, misdirected eyelash growth) Any help would be appreciated.

Dave are you quite certain there is no plug or part of a plug IN there somewhere?

I have been reading a lot of studies by oculoplastic surgeons lately and one of the themes that recurs is their harping on how many plugs they find unexpectedly when they open things up. Just a thought.

What exactly are they diagnosing right now? conjunctivitis, keratitis, canaliculitis, some other itis?

EDIT: When you say "plug removal" how was it removed? Was it pulled out with forceps, or irrigated out the other end (and if so was there verification that it came out)?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

That's a good point Rebecca I will definitely ask my doctor about the possibility of the plug still being in my punctum. They removed the plug with a forceps and were very confident they got all of it out, that's why I never thought of the possibility of it still being in there. I am diagnosed with chronic conjuctivitis, I have ocular rosacea and meibomian gland dsyfunction, but I can usually keep my symptoms somewhat manageable if I stick with my routine (Doxy,.Restasis, etc).

Comment

Working...
      X