Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why dripping stopped when quadraplugged?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why dripping stopped when quadraplugged?

I had 2 lower tear ducts cauterised and upper ducts plugged wth 1 umbrella plug and 1 temporary plug. The eye with umbrella plug kept dripping (for about 3 months) and I was relying on the other eye with temporary plug to see.
    Then the temporary plug fell out (twice) and finally I put in a permanent umbrella plug. Thus, I have 2 lower punctums cauterised and 2 upper punctums plugged. Both eyes wept for about a week and then suddenly, weeping stop.

Anybody knows why is it so? Does it mean the brain feedback to the eyes to reduce tears production? What will happen if I change one of the umbrella plugs to a flow control one, will the tears return?

I'm curious about this too!

Originally posted by tealeaf View Post
    I had 2 lower tear ducts cauterised and upper ducts plugged wth 1 umbrella plug and 1 temporary plug. The eye with umbrella plug kept dripping (for about 3 months) and I was relying on the other eye with temporary plug to see.
    Then the temporary plug fell out (twice) and finally I put in a permanent umbrella plug. Thus, I have 2 lower punctums cauterised and 2 upper punctums plugged. Both eyes wept for about a week and then suddenly, weeping stop.

Anybody knows why is it so? Does it mean the brain feedback to the eyes to reduce tears production? What will happen if I change one of the umbrella plugs to a flow control one, will the tears return?
    Hi Tealeaf,

I am having a similar problem...except I have the 2 upper lids cauterized and plugs in the lower. The right eye has been quite watery since I got this done in April 2015. I still have some overflow in that eye. The left eye, however, has been troublesome for me and I am sure I am driving my dr crazy The left eye, for the first month (end of April to end of May) was behaving similarly to the right eye with more tears and some overflow (i'd prefer overflow to dry!!). However, it started feeling dry so I went back to the dr. and the cauterization in the upper punctum had opened. She reclosed it and for another 3 weeks it was great. Since the 3rd week of June there has been no overflow. The eye is retaining some tears, but is less comfortable to the eye currently swimming in tears I have no idea why for 7 weeks of the 9 weeks it has been closed it would be good and now just nothing...I have read that the overflow will eventually work itself out...but I, selfishly, want both eyes to have a little overflow

Anyway, I'm working with my dr. on this. I will let you know what we come up with. I am wondering, if it is possibly that the lower puncta has stretched and the plug isn't stopping all of the tears? Does anyone know if this could be possible?

Comment

this is a normal reaction. your eyes adjust after a week or two with the plugs in. i'm not sure what causes it but ive read many people on here who experienced the same (including myself).

Comment

Originally posted by grant555 View Post
        this is a normal reaction. your eyes adjust after a week or two with the plugs in. i'm not sure what causes it but ive read many people on here who experienced the same (including myself).
        However my one eye (the right) had had excess tearing for 2.5 months now!

Comment

Amanda,
          I asked the eye doctor, he said the brain gave feedback to produce less tears

Ask you, with both eyes plugged, do you have issues of blur vision since the tear remains on the eyelid? I cannot see very clearly and have to strain to focus. Not that there is alot of water, somehow, the tear keeps lingering on the eyelid and when I blink, it distorts the vision.

Comment

Hi tealeaf!

When the tear builds up I just close my eyes and Dan with a tissue. That takes care of any blurring. It is annoying, slightly, but way better than a dry feeling in my opinion!

Comment

Amanda,

After having cautery and plugs for couple of months now, can I check how are your eyes? My eyes are still dripping but not as much as before. However, 1 of the eyes keeps feeling sticky, irritated and the tears seem to sting my eye. Do you have the same feeling? My eye doctor insisted that there is nothing wrong, saying that dry eyes people have nerves that are more sensitive, thus the result.
              I am thinking could be due to MGD but he insisted nothing was wrong.

Can anybody advise, please. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X