Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can tears escape if punctal plug is not right fit? (quadra-plugged)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can tears escape if punctal plug is not right fit? (quadra-plugged)

I have the 2 upper lids cauterized and plugs in the lower. The right eye has been quite watery since I got this done in April 2015. I still have some overflow in that eye. The left eye, however, has been troublesome for me and I am sure I am driving my dr crazy (and i know i am driving myself crazy)

The left eye, for the first month (end of April to end of May) was behaving similarly to the right eye with more tears and some overflow (i'd prefer overflow to dry!!). However, it started feeling dry at the end of may so I went back to the dr. and the cauterization in the upper punctum had opened. She reclosed it and for another 3 weeks it was great. Since the 3rd week of June there has been no overflow. The eye is retaining some tears, but is less comfortable to the eye currently swimming in tears The dr. says the upper punctum is still completely closed.

I am wondering, if it is possibly that the lower puncta has stretched and the plug isn't stopping all of the tears? Does anyone know if this could be possible?

I was under the impression that the plugs only stop a certain percentage of the tears from draining and that the cauterization stops 100%.

Comment

I do hope this is the case Thanks!

Comment

Punctal occlusion with plugs should achieve at least 95% closure. Cauterization is more difficult to maintain occlusion. They tissue tends to open.

Comment

Working...
        X