Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uppers plugged, but still gritty.

Hi All,

I had a pretty good experience with having my lower tear ducts plugged with dissolvable opaque Herrick lacrimal plugs which, according to my doctor, are supposed to last 3-4 months. I had this done at the end of January.

I still had dry eye symptoms with just lowers plugged, but the extreme grittiness and "drag" across the eye was relieved.

I had my uppers plugged on Thursday of last week. They have done nothing. I was expecting some "overflow" tears, but not even that.

Now, I am noticing since Saturday that I am actually back to feeling quite gritty. Last night I was back to how I felt in the really early days: super gritty eyes with eye strain. I couldn't watch TV, etc.

I am wondering if perhaps my lower plugs are beginning to dissolve, leaving me with less than optimal occulusion. I just can't believe that the upper plugs have done nothing.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I need some advice!!

Thanks

MDE

I think you hit it on the head. The lowers also might not have occluded much to begin with. To get a full effect, the plug needs to be very tight. Perhaps your doctor can put a regular silicone plug in your lowers.

Comment

I have the same experience with plugs. The reason is, too little tear.My doctor think the same way.
      Maybe u should try restasis. Restasis plus plugs might work better.

Comment

Rarely do the extended duration type plugs have effectiveness past 80-90 days. I would guess you have lost occlusion in the lowers.

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I do believe that occlusion in the lower ducts is not at its optimal level. This is so frustrating. I had to leave work early yesterday because my eyes were so uncomfortable and strained. Yikes! This is a scary place to be.

Comment

Working...
          X