Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any reason NOT to give plugs a try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any reason NOT to give plugs a try?

My doctor is thinking we will try silicone plugs in a couple of weeks. I know you can have them removed if you don't like them. How long before you know if they will work and can they cause any permanent problems if they don't work out for you?

I'm finding that the more I read, the more individual everyone who has plugs is. That is, when I was considering the procedure, someone had said it took several weeks to get used to them.
    I have had my lower for about 2 weeks and my uppers for 1 week and I have noticed a SERIOUS change in eye moisture - especially since getting the uppers done.
    I do not know about permanent damage. I only can speak to what I have read here and my own experience -- my doctor had difficulty fitting me (he didn't want to stretch my tear ducts, they were already large). As a result, using the smaller plugs at first I lost one within 2 hours and I experienced great discomfort for several days because my plugs stuck out enough that they kind of lightly scratched the surface of my eye -- keep in mind it's the inside corner, not the cornea. One of them stopped scratching (no more redness and soreness) and the one that didn't, he removed. When I had the light irritation, drops stung a lot. Because of my enlarged ducts he has placed one deeper inside each lower duct, and then one on top -- I didn't need the one on top really so that's the one that got removed.
    Once my eyes adjusted, I still felt pretty dry and we decided to do uppers as well (and my eye dr said he doesn't do uppers very often). At that point I noticed serious improvement!! I go back for a follow-up on Monday and I don't expect any issues, as I am quite comfortable.
    Have you tried temporaries (collagen or something)? They say those are supposed to help indicate if plugs will help you, but I found that the 3-5 day dissolve time isn't enough time to really know.
    So basically, I knew in less than a week after getting my uppers that I would feel much better. I think some people take longer. The good thing about silicone is that they are very easily removed. The draw back is perhaps that they can irritate at first. The intracanalicular plugs are great because they're inside (invisible, don't rub...) but I believe they are harder to remove (but not horrible).
    Have you read the encyclopedia info on this site?
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/plugs.html

I hope this helps a little!!
    Shoey

Comment

Based on all I have read here today, and my propensity toward complications, side effects, and discomfort from many things I have been told are no big deal--I have decided to refuse plugs. I just don't need the grief.

Comment

After reading more, I see that over 90% of the posters have had great trouble with these things. It would be me in that group.

Comment

If this helps at all -- I have FMS, which causes me to feel pain from normal touch, and I mean PAIN... so I am very sensitive to things, also.
          I had a little trouble with plugs at first, but I have a good doctor who was willing to keep trying for me. I now have 5 plugs and my eyes feel sooooo good. One of the things I like about the plug concept is that it's not a drug -- so no chemicals to worry about.
          Just my extra $0.02.
          You need to do what is right for you! (I didn't mean for that to rhyme...)
          Shoey

Comment

You should try plugs. Make sure they are large enough, they should fit very tightly. Without plugs I would live in misery.

Comment

I'm with Jade. I hate to think where my eyes and comfort level would be without plugs. Are they the end all be all? Probably not. But they have moved me into a life where albeit sometimes my eyes drip a bit but I can now watch t.v. in the evening, read, go to a restaurant and focus on my meal and not on how much my eyes are dry and bugging me.
              I would say give them a chance. Especially the temporary ones that melt. Then if you don't like them they will dissolve and at least then you know.

Comment

Lasik Lady and Jade,
                Do you have other stuff going on like lid inflammation? I'm trying to figure out why my lasik OD would be saying no plugs right now but my other opth. would said to try it right away.

I'm on restasis, doxy, and doing warm compress currently, but there is obvioulsy still inflamation b/c mylids are reddish, I have eyelashes growing every which way, and well, they burn and all that other fun stuff.

Comment

I have no lid inflamation or other issues besides dry eyes from Lasik. Did you have these issues prior to Lasik with the eye lids and eye lashes?

Comment

when I stop to really think about it -- I might have had some funky lashes, but not the inflammation and swelling I have now. probably a sign I had some issues pre-lasik, but obviously they didn't catch anything.

Comment

If I do get diagnosed with Sjogren's I might have to consider this. My eyes were improving but they are much worse and this time accompanied by dry mouth, a swollen salivary gland under my jaw, and hoarseness. If the eyes stay this bad, I will have to consider something.

Comment

Working...
                      X