Punctal Plug Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctal Plug Questions

I got punctal plugs a couple of months ago and they are wonderful. They have not moved to my knowledge. I am terrified of having them come out while traveling far from home.

My questions are:

How long do they stay in for the average person? (I have had no problems with them)

What kinds of things cause them to come out? (Do I have any control over this?)

Does anyone have them stay in for years and years or is that rare?

IF they are correctly sized and removing all patient reasons for "early" removal, the retention rates are quite high at 12 months. Usually in the 90-95% range for retention at 12 months.

If you have had them for a couple months I would imagine you will still have them in 12 months. What typically happens for plugs that are correctly sized and inserted properly is you will eventually forget they are there and reach up to wipe your eyelid and pull them out. OR when cleaning your eyelid something will snag the plug and pull it out.

Yes many people can have them for years. I hope this helps.

The main reason silicone plugs fall out is improper size (too big). Second is patient related as described above.

Comment

You did not mention what kind of plugs you have. To my knowledge, the intracanalicular type can last indefinitely.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

It's possible to pull the plugs yourself IF it is coming loose. I've done that when I needed something done and it was a weekend, etc and I could see the plug was coming out. Doesn't happen often, but nothing to fear. Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Mine are the kind with the mushroom top, but I had him push them way down in. He said I have the largest ducts he has ever seen. He can see them when he puts his light on the area and he can see the shadow of them. I cannot see them at all and cannot see the tops of them at the opening at all. They are silicone, I believe.

Comment

I have had my lowers in for 17 months. My uppers have been in for 5 months now. They are in good and haven't caused me any problems except after the uppers I still have overtearing a bit. I guess I have been very lucky with them. I don't feel them and I have forgotten and rubbed my eyes but they haven't budged a bit. I'm considering the flow control ones in the fall but actually I have such a great fit with these I'm kind of scared to mess with them. My doctor told me to expect them to be "permanent".

Comment

Punctal rods

I had rods put in over a year ago and think they are still in. They are inserted deeply into the tear duct so there is no physical way to see them. The only thing I notice is that when I put drops in they fall out of my eye and I do not feel moisture going down the back of my throat to my stomach.

Comment

Working...
              X