Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ciclosporin the same drug as restasis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ciclosporin the same drug as restasis?

Is Ciclosporin the same drug as restatsis? It turns out the private dry eye clinic I use in the uk offer Cirlosporin I have found out by looking on there website. Though this option hasn't been discussed yet though I would be interested in trying it. I had lower plugs put in 6 weeks ago but my schirmers score is still low 3mm in the left eye 8mm in the right. Is Cirlosporin something you need to take indefinitely after starting? Thanks for any information.

Hi Matt. Yes, Ciclosporin is what both Restasis and Ikervis is. Likely since you are in the U.K., Ikervis is more prevalently prescribed.

IKERVIS:

The active substance is ciclosporin. One millilitre of IKERVIS contains 1 mgof ciclosporin. The other ingredients are medium-chain triglycerides, cetalkonium chloride, glycerol, tyloxapol, poloxamer 188, sodium hydroxide (to adjust pH) and water for injections.Jan 18, 2017

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emcmobile/medicine/30585

RESTASIS:

Each mL of Restasis® ophthalmic emulsion contains: Active: cyclosporine 0.05%. Inactives: glycerin; castor oil; polysorbate 80; carbomer copolymer type A; purified water; and sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/restasis.html

Comment

Thank you its either ikervis or top plugs that will be my next addition I think.

Comment

Glad you have a few near term options.

Ikervis can be expensive. Might be worthwhile to try adding the upper plugs first, because if being quadra plugged works like it has for some in this forum, and it's a relatively simple procedure to insert the plugs, you might not need Ikervis at all. Or if quadra plugs helps but by itself is not enough, having it in combination with using Ikervis may provide more relief than Ikervis alone.

Sometimes for the upper ducts they recommend dissolvable plugs, as people have varying results with also plugging the uppers. For me, quadra plugs made my eyes feel a little worse for some reason, so having them dissolve on their own saved me a trip back to the eye doctor.

Comment

Thanks is the the best route trying all 4 plugs before looking at ibervis? Wasn't sure on what to try next. Do plugs stop drainage 100℅ or does abit still leak through?

Comment

I would think trying all four plugs would be the next logical step, before trying Ikervis, but discuss that with your doctor.

I believe the typical upper plugs used do stop drainage 100%, however there are "flow control" plugs that have a tiny hole where some drainage is allowed, but I heard these are not readily used.

http://www.amconlabs.com/product/713...trol-Silicone/

Perhaps ask about them. I've been wondering if four plugs would have helped me, if I had tried the flow control plugs in the upper ducts vs. the typical plugs.

Comment

Working...
            X