X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poppy
    replied
    OK still cranky. Heard from the pharmacy again today. No action has occurred with the azasite as the doctor wasn't in (he only works a limited number of days). The pharmacist is going to call the doctor when he's finally in and "see if he wants to bother" trying to get the azasite. What the? The doc knows that azasite is hard to get, he wouldn't have prescribed it if he didn't think it was worth "bothering" with! The pharmacist knows it's a corneal disease clinic so perhaps that's where her attitude comes from - dry eye is hardly worth bothering with isn't it.

Pharmacist also told me they still don't have pred minims and it could be months before they come in. How can the health care system allow this situation to develop where there is complete unavailability of a drug that is so essential for many inflammatory eye diseases? I NEED steroids not just from a comfort point of view but medically. FML don't work nearly as well and have BAK. They aren't a good substitute.

Recently there were a bunch of articles in the papers about pharmacies running out of a certain antibiotic and what a scandal it was. I guess when pharmacies run out of stuff essential to dry eye patients, it's not newsworthy.

The only good news is that they say they can provide the cyclosporin now, unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working anyway after about 6 weeks, though I'll give it a few months before I give up.

Leave a comment:

• Súil Eile
    replied
    Sounds like one of those days, Poppy You must have been furious at the pharmacy not working out properly. Hope the BAK doesn't have too much of a bad effect on you. Maybe spoil yourself a little over the weekend to compensate

Leave a comment:

• poppy
    started a topic hospital "runs out" of steroid drops

hospital "runs out" of steroid drops

OK I'm cranky again. I went to the hospital pharmacy to get three prescriptions that you can't get from a standard pharmacy. Didn't end up getting any of them. Reasons:

a) They've run out of prednisolone minims and there is a widespread shortage and might be a while before I can get them. How can they run out of something as widely used as steroid drops? I suppose in the meantime I'll have to try to get some FML to tide me over with all that lovely BAK.
    b) Couldn't give me the cyclosporin as they didn't have it in the required concentration and weren't sure if the prescribing doctor had made a mistake in prescribing 0.05% concentration. They said they normally have 0.5% concentration only. If restasis is 0.05%, how can 0.5% be the "normal" concentration they prescribe?
    c) Didn't get my azasite as the necessary paperwork hadn't been filled out to get this (the drug isn't approved in Australia, so the docs have to fill out some paperwork to get it). Now I have to wait another two weeks for my script (I already waited two weeks to give them time to do the stuff they were already supposed to be doing)

Hopeless! End Vent!
Working...
X