Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is prednisol n/p drops (pred forte) that dangerous for long term?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is prednisol n/p drops (pred forte) that dangerous for long term?

my right eye is killing me and i want to reach for the prednisol drops i have... but my "new" doc doesnt want me using them.. he said i could maybe try FML drops but wouldnt write an rx the other day since i am trying hormone eye drops as well..

just curious how dangerous they are as far as cataracts-he acted like i could wake up with a cataract overnight from it..he said there was no way for me to measure my pressure at home--well i know that... but my other doc acted like i could use it for flare ups..and not to worry so much since i go monthly and get checked..

can anbody help??? and if it is that dangerous what can i use for the immense pain in my one eye ??? also i already take serum drops 50% ,, warm compresses fish oil, restasis.. etc.. hope somebody can help! thanks!
    Jenny

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
    my right eye is killing me and i want to reach for the prednisol drops i have... but my "new" doc doesnt want me using them.. ... if it is that dangerous what can i use for the immense pain in my one eye ??? also i already take serum drops 50% ,, warm compresses fish oil, restasis.. etc.. hope somebody can help! thanks!
    Have you tried cold compresses? or frequent runs to the bathroom sink to splash ice cold tap water over firmly closed eyes? That gave me a lot of relief once upon a time (Granted, it's not the most convenient tactic, especially if you find yourself running for the sink multiple times per hour, but at least it won't lead to cataracts and other complications some day)

I feel for you though... when my eyes would kill me it was very hard to resist reaching for the leftover steroid drops in my nightstand!

Comment

i can try the cold compresses..its just hard it if i am somewhere other than home-although when i feel this bad i am usually home ... does the burning eventually go away>???? is there anything else to take to take away the burning??? so i guess the prednisol drops are too dangerous to be taken during flare ups all the time??

Thanks for answering.. do your eyes or eye ever just burn like crazy anymore?? i thougth the 50% serum would help but it doenst seem to..
      Jenny

Comment

As long as you're willing to go without wearing make-up, you can do the cold water splash treatment in any public bathroom - just grab a wad of paper towel before you start so you'll be able to dry your eyes before opening them again. I've done this at work many times, in airports, and any other public washroom I had access to, and it helped a lot when I needed it!

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time! (((hugs)))

Comment

thanks..welli have to wear concealer on my eyelids cause of the redness from rosacea..but i could reapply..thanks for your help.
          Jenny

Comment

I've been on a steroid drop for about 6 weeks and was told to continue for another six weeks. It's not FML but unpreserved prednisolone in vials. It's very soothing when applied. I was told to get a check up for eye pressure every 6 weeks.

I'm also on doxy for the first time and still on Restasis. I've noticed Doxy works but the side effect of reflux and headaches are becoming a problem.

So I was invited out to a karaoke night with a friend. There were no air conditioning, but over head fans. I was determined not to use my moisture chamber glasses. So my lower eyelids started to burn, I applied Thera tear gel a few times, then resorted to splashing my eyes with cold water...and both strategies really worked. However, without having been on the steroid drops and doxy, I could not have have managed.

Comment

i dont think the US has preservative free steriods in vials... i have been on and off of them for over 5 years...
              My doc just ordered Preservative free fml for me from Leiters.... he said with continous use of the prednisol even without spike changes i could
              develop cataracts quickly.. it scares me... my pressure is always very low and doesnt spike...but i gues the longer you take it the higher the risk...

you just began so you are prob fine.thanks for replying!
              Jenny

Comment

Interesting! I recently had a few eyelashes removed by an ophthalmologist I haven't seen before to test for demodex. I asked him what are the chances of developing cataracts from steroid drops. His answer was "Very rare". So many different opinions. I'd prefer not to remain on them for too long and not take the risk.

Comment

it is .. i have had docs rx them like its no big deal and i have had the same # of docs be very cautious.. i hate the risk.. when u look it up it def says there is a good risk.. i thought i was safe by being checked monthly. i am going to ask my doc (the one who is retiring but should still be at my next apt in 3 weeks) his opinion again... he is a seasoned doc and he seemed ok prescribing them.. he didnt want me on them daily but he said if i was that miserable ....
                  Jenny

Comment

I have used the tobradex the same way I have the ointment, and when I have a really bad eye I will put it in unusually at bedtime, I know that they have told me the main concern was the eye pressure, just feel so desparate when I get a really bad case, The drs have told me lotimax is better, as far as increasing the pressure, I already have little tiny cataracs I was told that they are from birth, don't want them getting worse. Maybe I'll just go back to using a night time ointment when it's so bad. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes.

Comment

Jenny hope u r better . wen i was in intense pain the predisonol drops were the answer .. however had to stop due to pressure. then second intense pain episode two months later wat worked was stopping the cold splashes though tempting . they just clogged my mgd more so was a bad cycle . instead back on warm compress not hot and very short . and sls free products including sls free eyewipes . hydrocortisone ointment on eyelids also are quite safe. burning hasn't come back like that again. also sleep
                      http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

is the hydrocortisone ointment a prescription? thanks!
                        Jenny

Comment

Yes on script . it's siguent hycor 1% eye ointment preservative free. i use twice a day on eyelid bottom only . under lash line .idea is it sips through skin into eye but very little to prevent high pressure. only use about half cm applied with cotton bud.
                          http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X