This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alrex/Lotemax

Has anyone taken these long term ? Apparently these are 2 low dose steroids that are considered safe for long term use. I do not want to use them everyday just maybe 2-3 times a week to keep the inflammation under control

alb1967,

Here is a research study, "Long-term Safety of Loteprednol Etabonate 0.2% in the Treatment of Seasonal and Perennial Allergic Conjunctivitis".
    http://journals.lww.com/claojournal/...0_2__in.4.aspx

From the abstract:
    "One hundred fifty-nine of the 397 patients had been continuously using loteprednol for more than 12 months. Results. There were no reported adverse effects of long-term loteprednol etabonate 0.2% use in any of the 159 patients, whose continuous use ranged from a cumulative total of 120 drops per eye to 3,741 drops per eye."

It seems several members of this forum have used various steroids long term. Maybe they can add comments here. Generally though, caution is warranted, but Loteprednol (Alrex/Lotemax) seems well tolerated by most.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks WateryDryEyeSF. My dr sent me the same article and said it is fine long term. I do not use it every night but I do use it about 3 times a week. It keeps the inflammation down.

Comment

Working...
      X