This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad reaction to Lotemax

I was prescribed Lotemax 5 days ago but my eyes feel worse than ever now. I had the option to choose Prednisolone and amtrying to get some prescribed today (not easy on a weekend). Most people on the forum seem to like Lotemax so I'm wondering why it's so bad for me. Perhaps the BAK but I thought that wouldn't be a problem straight away. My eyelids are dark and swollen as if I've had an allergic reaction.

So fed up with the unrelenting pain. At least a month ago I had slightly better days but now I'm waking up all through the night in pain. I have a good eye doctor who thinks I need something to bring the inflammation down but nothing is really working. I'm taking Doxy for the MGD but no difference yet. Can't do warm compressess as they make my eyes even worse and no eye drops help.

Is the pred worth a try if Lotemax hasn't helped? FML did nothing? My pressures were checked at my last appt and were fine. So desperate for relief. Not sure how long I want to carry on like this

Originally posted by lizlou29 View Post
    I was prescribed Lotemax 5 days ago but my eyes feel worse than ever now. I had the option to choose Prednisolone and amtrying to get some prescribed today (not easy on a weekend). Most people on the forum seem to like Lotemax so I'm wondering why it's so bad for me. Perhaps the BAK but I thought that wouldn't be a problem straight away. My eyelids are dark and swollen as if I've had an allergic reaction.

So fed up with the unrelenting pain. At least a month ago I had slightly better days but now I'm waking up all through the night in pain. I have a good eye doctor who thinks I need something to bring the inflammation down but nothing is really working. I'm taking Doxy for the MGD but no difference yet. Can't do warm compressess as they make my eyes even worse and no eye drops help.

Is the pred worth a try if Lotemax hasn't helped? FML did nothing? My pressures were checked at my last appt and were fine. So desperate for relief. Not sure how long I want to carry on like this
    Lizlou, my bottle of prednisolone has BAK in it. Not sure if they have a different formulation now or not--do ask before they fill that prescription because if BAK is your problem then you just wasted time and money. Difluprednate seemed to work well for me and the preservative is not the same as Lotemax (I would check for you, but I threw away the literature). However, it is very strong, so your doc, if he or she agrees to prescribe it, may not recommend that you drop with the same frequency as Lotemax and he or she may ask you to come back sooner to monitor intraocular pressure. Mine went up after 4 weeks of use for the first time ever in my life so be very very careful.

Comment

I've requested the PF Pred. Had to speak to a duty nurse who told me to use more artificial tears if my eyes are dry but if they are red it would be an allergy (i think I'm getting to the point where i let these comments wash over me). Due to my thyroid problem I get free prescriptions which is good otherwise I'd be broke by now with all the different things I've tried!

Comment

The preservative free pred plus the 0.06 percent cyclosporine I think will be your best bet. I also recently had a BAK reaction.. Lids swollen, painful. This has never happened before until now. It took two days to clear up. I think you will do much better with the preservative free versions.

Just think there is still hope. You haven't tried everything!!

Comment

I've requested the PF Pred. Had to speak to a duty nurse who told me to use more artificial tears if my eyes are dry but if they are red it would be an allergy (i think I'm getting to the point where i let these comments wash over me). Due to my thyroid problem I get free prescriptions which is good otherwise I'd be broke by now with all the different things I've tried!
          That's good news. Hope the preservative free formulation works out for you!

Comment

Just returned from 3 hour wait at emergency eye clinic as I was in so much pain. Prescribed Pred. Tried to make me use Lacrilube (my nemesis). Apparently I'm the first person he's treated that didn't get on with it. What a badge of honour! Praying for a little relief soon. Thanks for the advice/ encouragement everyone!

Comment

I was prescribed Lotemax 5 days ago but my eyes feel worse than ever now.(
              You are not alone. My eyes can't tolerate anything either.

Doxy can take a while to have an effect. What is your dose?

Comment

I'm taking 100mg a day. Only been taking it 6 weeks. I was told it will be 3 months before I notice a difference (if I do).

I'm frustrated that all drops make my eyes worse as I need something at night. I'm waking up constantly in pain so only getting a few hours sleep at most. Feel so drained.

Comment

Spoke with my opth today and I'm carrying on with pred for a bit. He thinks I need to be more positive and stop thinking about my eyes. I feel at an all time low right now. I really don't want this life anymore. To know that I could have 50 more years of this doesn't bear thinking about.

Comment

Liz---try to stay positive. I hear exactly what you are saying...I'm only 31 and can't let myself think about not getting better. If you ever want to talk pls pm me!

Comment

Hi Liz - just wanted to let you know I was first on Tobramycin and was switched to Lotemax. Within a few days of using Lotemax my eyes were terrible. Same as you described. My doctor put me back on Tobramycin and I am now on Prednisolone. Both the Tobramycin and Prednisolone have been okay - hoping the Pred. will kick in and take the inflammation down in my eye.

At night I use Tobradex ointment and TranquilEyes goggles. I freeze the inserts from the goggles and put them on my eyes for 15 minutes, take them out then the goggles keep a nice moist environment during the night. You can probably use Systane Night time Relief ointment (over the counter and preservative free) but I would pass everything by your doctor. But the ointment, cold compress (doctor's orders to use cold compresses, not warm) and goggles make a huge difference healing your eyes overnight after being strained all day.

I am 27 and have only had these eye issues since August. I can't tell you how terrible this has made me feel and has altered the quality of my life. Be positive, follow doctors orders and take advice from posts on here. I am a long way from being back to normal but I am keeping my spirits up.

Comment

i too am allergic to BAK and preservatives but can tolerate lotemax OINTMENT wonderfully

Comment

I'm taking 100mg a day. Only been taking it 6 weeks. I was told it will be 3 months before I notice a difference (if I do).

I'm frustrated that all drops make my eyes worse as I need something at night. I'm waking up constantly in pain so only getting a few hours sleep at most. Feel so drained.
                          Yes, it can take some time for the doxy to work. I was on 100mg 2x per day for many months. I'm now on only 20mg 1x per day. It's easier on the digestive system. You might consider taking a probiotic.

And like you I can't use any drop but because I sleep with my eyes partially opened I needed something at night. Onyx moisture chamber goggles work well for me. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to sleep with them. I felt like I was drowning and that increased my anxiety. I told my doctor and he suggested trying them on for only 1 minute one night and increasing by one minute each night. Now I can't sleep without them. I put the band that holds them on under my hair and they stay in place. Some people have trouble with them falling off or moving in the night, but for me, the hair works as an anchor.

Maybe something like that would help you when you sleep? The dry spots we develop at night if we don't close our eyes completely when we sleep can be terribly painful and these goggles really seems to help.

Comment

He thinks I need to be more positive and stop thinking about my eyes. I feel at an all time low right now. I really don't want this life anymore. To know that I could have 50 more years of this doesn't bear thinking about.
                            Realistically, how can you stop thinking about your eyes when you are in pain and your quality of life is completely affected by your eyes. That's sounds like a doctor who hopes that this is all in your head because there are those studies that say something like our level of pain is affected by our anxiety. Well, sure it is. But that doesn't make your pain any less real. It's real. Step by step, keep at it, you will get better. It does take time...

Comment

i had a really bad experience with lotemax as well. it made my eyes worse than they already were, and i have yet to fully recover almost 6 months later. my left eye is much drier than it was before i tried it, and i also have nighttime dryness, which i never had pre-lotemax. i assume it is the BAK as well. i had posted on the forum about it back in May:
                              http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...yes-much-worse!

Comment

Working...
                              X