This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservative-free steroid drops?

I have tried FML drops twice and each time after one day of great relief I start to have a bad reaction. Swelling, soreness etc. My doctor thinks it might be from the BAK preservative. Is it possible to get non-preserved steroid drops?

they now have a new lotemax gel drop that has 70 percent less BAK preservative than regular lotemax suspension drops. I just started it yesterday and i am very impressed with it over the older regular suspension lotemax. I hope it continues to give me the relief i have felt the last couple days. It is not preservative free but has much less BAK than the old Lotemax.

Comment

Thanks Fitch. Sounds good, certainly something to try.

Comment

A good doctor can mix up preservative free steroids in the office or those who works with a good and safe compounding pharmacy should be able to prescribe preservative-free steroids.

Comment

predislone comes PF, but is kinda strong. I usually use Alrex when needed, but has BAK in it, I am beginning not to be able to tolerate it well

Comment

We get preservative free steroid drops in Australia in vials via a prescription, it's called Minims.

Comment

As alternative to using FML with the BAK (5y) looking like it was starting to set up chemosis, we used dexamethasone PF (Bausch & Lomb, Minims format in individual vials) for 1y as needed but only in tapering doses according to flareups, even down to 1 drop every week, then one drop every 10 days. This was for controlling paediatric keratitis with chronic MGD while we worked on clearing the glands. With 'rosacea' sensitivities, we also try to vary lubricant drops if it looks like the eyes are getting sensitive. If the drops are working, we leave it.
              Last edited by littlemermaid; 17-Nov-2013, 01:11.
              Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

According to this topic, FML does not contain BAK.
                But searching the internet, I found it with BAK only.
                http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...L-Ointment-0-1

The author of the topic does not visit the forum more. I hope he managed to get rid of the problem!

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I knew Dry Eyers would come through! Apparently we don't have minims pf Prednisolone Eye Drops in the U.S. I will talk to my doctor about Leiter's. Thanks Andre, that ointment sound so soothing. I'll also ask about trying that. I wouldn't be using any steroid a lot, just for flareups. I had such relief that first day on FML, wow, before the reaction to the BAK set in that I really want to try the PF steroid of some kind.

Edited to add: I found the ointment online that has phenylmercuric acetate as preservative. At least it's not BAK.

Comment

Share the link with us. Maybe you can help others.

Comment

Link: http://www.drugs.com/pro/fml-ophthalmic-ointment.html

Comment

How much it costs, Magoo?

Comment

Andre, I don't know about cost. It would be a prescription here so cost would be determined by my insurance. Have no idea about cost in Brazil.

Comment

Surely it is not for sale in Brazil! Everything I buy comes from U.S. sites.

Can not buy without prescription?
                            You will test this ointment?

When you find the value out there, please let me know. Steroids have saved the day here, but it has the damn BAK.

If not too expensive, I'll ask my eye doctor, he always goes to conferences in the U.S..

thank you

Comment

Magoo, my ophthalmologist told me about Dexafree.
                              Has anyone heard about this?
                              It seems that only sells in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                              X