This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite

Why is it so hard to get drops out of a bottle of Azasite? I rec'd 5 tiny bottles (samples) and it is practically impossible to get a drop out. I read and re-read the dispensing instructions over and over, first night got one drop out. Second night, nothing. No way there are only two drops in that bottle, no matter how small. Opened a second sample bottle...got two big globs out...too much...guaranteed, there is nothing left in that bottle. Why is this so difficult? I held it upside down, shook it etc etc etc. HELP! Was hoping to make these samples last before I had to go out and spend hundreds of dollars for a script

Thanks!

Neve

Originally posted by neve View Post
    Opened a second sample bottle...got two big globs out...too much...guaranteed, there is nothing left in that bottle.
    When you say globs do you mean they were thicker than just drops?

I would call the doctor's office and tell them. Certainly possible the bottles were defective in some way, maybe the tip of the first clogged or something.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

They were thick-ish sticky gel drops. I left a message for office to call me...I also noticed that these sample bottles expire August 2011, tho I doubt that is the problem. I read online that lots of people have had issues with getting these drops out so I thought someone on the DEZ might have figured out how to do this!

Comment

The drops are super viscous. The doctor that prescribed them to me taught me a trick (hard to explain but I'll try)... you kind of flick your wrist hard with the dropper facing down after you have shaken vigorously. I've forgotten how many times he had me shake the bottle but it was a surprisingly large number (20?), and then the wrist flick. I hated taking Azasite, in part, because of the application. I believe there was a CD showing you how to use them (my dr offered but I'd rather read than see a video). Maybe there is something online.

Comment

well, they do have a website azasite.com but they are updating it so it's useless for your needs. In the meantime, I did see some kind of interesting news...
          They are working on Azasite Plus and some other drugs that might help us dry eye folks:
          http://www.azasiteplus.com/product_pipeline

Another site: http://www.drugs.com/cdi/azasite-drops.html
          had this: "Turn the bottle upside down and shake once before each use. Remove the cap while the bottle is still upside down."
          but it's not terribly useful and I assume you're already doing that.

Try shaking vigorously (with applicator tip pointing down) and then a hard flick of the wrist downward and see if that helps. Hopefully they'll get their website up and running soon with the video.

My dr gave me a prescription and only 1 sample to get me through until I could pick up my prescription. It didn't seem like the sample bottle held much.

Comment

Hi,

You may also hold the tube in your hand for a couple of minutes to let it warm up. The solution is viscous but increased temperature, close to your body temperature, will help you squeeze the solution more easily out of the tube. Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
            Irina Ganelis, M.D.
            http://www.GanelisMD.com

Comment

Thank you all for the instructions! Beyond me why in 2011 a bottle of eye drops cannot be made to actually dispense the eye drops more easily, if at all, but will give it a go tonight and I am sure that the bottle that was just opened last night is probably empty already or if I am lucky maybe I can get a drop or two out. Will do the vigorous shaking (20X), wrist flicking and warming to body temp...hate this product!

Thanks!

Comment

I always store my Azasite on its nose (for e.g., in a shot glass). I seem to get more out of the bottle that way.

Comment

My doctor said to bang the bottle on the counter about four times, then store the bottle upside down. But it burned so badly I could never use it long enough to run out of drops in the sample size bottle. I tried it twice and I put the drops just on the eye lids the second time. I could not take the pain of the drops.

Comment

Oh yes, they do burn! I can take the burn easier than the frustration of the bottle, however! Putting them on lashes causes almost no burn at all for me but when I did a drop in my eye, the burning/dryness seemed to continue all night. Did all the recommended things with the bottle last night, including leaving it stored upside down. First all I got was puffs of air in my eyes and we know how great that feels!! Finally, got two drops out and bottle is finished. Big, huge, nuisance. I will try the banging tonight...with yet another new bottle. Azasite is annoying and so is my eye clinic... they act like I am the only one that has a prob getting these blasted drops out!
                    Last edited by neve; 20-Aug-2011, 07:39.

Comment

Hi Neve,
                      My eye doctor said to store the bottle upside down, and thwack it a couple of times before using it. If you hold the bottle upside down and put it up to the light, you can see how the fluid is sitting in the tip of the bottle, and if it is ready to come out. It burns like the devil, so I use artificial tears about 15 minutes before using it, and then put the Azasite in right before I go to sleep. For some reason, if I don't open my eyes again after putting the drops in, it doesn't hurt as much. I only use it at night, so this works out pretty well. Also, the eye doctor said if you have ocular rosacea, you do not need to take oral Doxy if you are using the Azasite, as it works the same way on ocular rosacea. Good luck.

Comment

Stored it upside down and VOILA! Drops. Yay!

Thank you!

Comment

Azasite hard to get out of bottle.

Originally posted by neve View Post
                          They were thick-ish sticky gel drops. I left a message for office to call me...I also noticed that these sample bottles expire August 2011, tho I doubt that is the problem. I read online that lots of people have had issues with getting these drops out so I thought someone on the DEZ might have figured out how to do this!

Run the bottle under hot water for 30-45 seconds - this makes the drops flow right out.

Comment

Working...
                          X