This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite

I've been a long time dry eye sufferer with chronic pain for the past 3 years. I have been on restasis, lotemax, used fish and flaxseed oil and I have done the compresses. I have poured every type of tear drop in my eye but would still have pain. I have seen some of the top dry eye doctors and no relief

I have been on azasite for one month now and am totally pain-free!. I just use one drop at night and that's it. It's been totally incredible. I still have redness and irritation at times but no pain. Azasite was approved by the FDA for bacterial conjunctivitis but a number of doctors are now using it to treat blepharitis. It is beneficial because of it's antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. I believe for those who have blepharitis and are suffering from dry eye and have tried everything than you need to give azasite a try. I myself have had blepharitis/dry eye for a long time. For those without blepharitis but have dry eye it's worth a shot.

That's one of the mysteries of dry eye that certain products work well for some; but not others but you need to keep trying. I was on restasis for years and no impact but I have been on Azasite for 30 days and it's changed my life. The only drawback is the bottle only lasts for 15 days and for me it's a $45 co-pay but I'll take the pain-free living for $90 a month.

I only wish mine lasted 2 weeks, nothing else has helped me as much.
    A week is all I get out of mine.

Unfortunately it only treats my symptoms, not cures the condition,
    But that is a heck of a lot more relief than I ever got from anything else.

An Azasite II is in phase 4 trials. It is specifically for blepharitis.
    I only hope the bottle is BIGGER!

Comment

I was wondering, did you eye doctor say how long you can safely use Azasite for blepharitis? Can it be used as a daily drop?

Comment

I was on azasite for about 25 days and it helped some. The doctors arn't exactly sure what I have, but it has been diagnosed as blepharitis and simply "chronic swelling of the eyelids." Anyway, I was prescribed tobradex a while back which helped some but not totally. The doctor is now trying tobradex 4x a day for a month, and then gonna tapper me off it, in hopes the inflammation wont come back. I have almost a full bottle of azasite that I used (dropped) twice. It has been sitting in my fridge for a month now. Does anyone know if the medicine in this bottle would still be active or "fresh?" Is it ok to use this along with the tobradex. I really dont want this extra bottle going to waste, and I was seeing some results from it. Any advice? Could there be a drug interaction or anything bad between these 2 medicines?

Comment

I have been prescribed Tobradex ointment and azasite simultaneously before.
          As long as it was in the refrigerator I would think it was OK.
          Course I am no Doc, so don't sue me if I am wrong

Comment

azasite

My doctor wrote me a 3-month supply so i believe it can be long-term. I have read other doctors are using it long-term but one month on and one month off.

Comment

Azasite is working amazingly for me....I'm on day 3 and I can't believe it but the burning my Blepharitis causes is less....my eyes are still red but at least the pain is gone a bit....if it will also adress the redness/inflammation, well I'll thank Azasite for the rest of my life!!

btw, I will ask my Dr. too if it can be used for long periods....If yes, I'm gonna buy the preserv. free ones from Leiter.

Bye

Comment

I really want to try this!

Prob wont help like everything else, but its worth a shot.

The problem im sure is the inflammation of my inner eyelids, so this has a chance as it helps inflammation but absorbs into eyelids.
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

http://www.canadadrugs.com/prescript...on+1%25/11275/

I have just found an online pharmacy where you can buy it without a prescription, anyone used this pharmacy or got azasite from there?

They do 2.5ml, 5ml and 7.5ml

What is the normal mills that lasts 2 about 1/2weeks?
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

You can not buy it without a prescription in Canada nor the US. I called.

Comment

did you read the instructions

The recommended dosage regimen for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis is:
                      Instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) twice daily, eight to twelve hours apart for the
                      first two days and then instill 1 drop in the affected eye(s) once daily for the next
                      five days - for a total of 9 drops per infected eye -

So this does not look like a long term drug

Comment

The dosing schedule you reference is for use in pinkeye for kids, the original target for the drug.

The use for blepharitis is considered off label use, that is to say, a Dr is prescribing it for other than its intended usage.

My Dr gave me an unlimited refill prescription.
                        I know with the BAK, some people would frown on that, but for me the benefits are worth the risk.
                        I have tried everything, and nothing else comes close.

Comment

Originally posted by skygoddess View Post
                          I know with the BAK, some people would frown on that, but for me the benefits are worth the risk.
                          If there continues to be buzz about its use for blepharitis and if they have any successful clinical trials for this indication showing good long-term safety data I would expect they will come out with a preservative free version.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Hi since Nov I used it two time for the max one time for 14 days and the last for 10. It says you can only even use it for 14 days because it goes bad after. Anyhow my doc said that it works for 6 weeks after you use it. AFter I used it for about a month I was slightly better but then my symptoms returned full force. I asked if I could use it again but he said to wait for 3 months. It would not hard but it would do nothing. A few months ago I used it again for 10 days with the same results but back to the way I am. Anyhow I would be carful to use this very long term because of what is in thte info pack about only good for the 14 days once opened. Of course if your doc says ok I guess that is different.

Comment

Originally posted by skygoddess View Post
                              The dosing schedule you reference is for use in pinkeye for kids, the original target for the drug.

The use for blepharitis is considered off label use, that is to say, a Dr is prescribing it for other than its intended usage.

My Dr gave me an unlimited refill prescription.
                              I have tried everything, and nothing else comes close.

Do you take breaks from it?
                              Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X