Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much Rebecca! My main concern was that if I got the lenses I would have to return to Boston again.

I saw on the Boston Foundation website that patients can get discounted rates at a local hotel (the Needham Sheraton) and they provide patients a free shuttle from that hotel to the clinic. They also said that some airlines will give you a discount..definitely need to find out about that. I read that for very low-income patients there is something called Angel Flight you can request that will fly you to where you need to go at no charge. I can afford to pay for a flight, so that isn't an option for me.

From what I've read, I'd say if anyone really can't afford the lenses but has a definite need they should call the Boston Foundation. They will cover the cost of the lenses for low-income patients and you can stay at a hospitality home for free.
    Last edited by green eyes2; 27-Aug-2006, 11:35.
    Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

They will cover the cost of the lenses for low-income patients ...
      Here are the actual details:

Financial Information

Considering that the cost of the Boston Scelral and MiniScleral Lenses can be up to $7,600, the BFS offers several payment plans and sliding-scale care to patients who meet the financial need requirements...

We recommend that you contact your insurance carrier prior to your visit to the Foundation to familiariarze yourself with your insurance benefits.

Most health insurers will pay for the initial consultation on referral from your opthalmologist or optometrist. This may require your referring physician to make a special request if your policy limits you to a pre-selected roster of healthcare providers. If you would like to be pre-approved by our insurance company for the Scleral Lens Prosthetic Device, we can begin the predeterminiation process immediately following notification of your candidacy for the Boton Scleral Lens...

Payment Options
      Option 1: Payment in Full.
      Option 2: Payment plan arranged with the Boston Foundation for Sight. This plan must be arrange through our Finance Department by contacting...
      Option 3: Flexible Payment Plan
      If you do no choose one of the above options we require that you apply to the Vision Fee Plan, a division of Capital One.
      www.capitalonehealthcarefinance.com

If you do not qualify for the Vision Fee Plan, and request financial assistance you will be required to fill out a financial assistance application, and provide documentation that relates to your financial situation. There documents include but are not limited to:
      • A current pay stub of each working adult member of the household.
      • A copy of your most recent tax return.
      • A letter of validation from your source of income (e.g. Welfare, Social Security, etc.)

All documents will be reviewed by our financial assistance committee to determine the amount of susbsidization you will receive. The remaining balance will have to be paid by one of the three options listed above.

Comment

This is also listed on the Boston Foundation website: "Qualifications for free and subsidized care are based on a means application." So, apparently, some low-income people do qualify for free scleral lenses. It's wonderful there is a place like the Boston Foundation with such altruistic people.
        Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
          if there is interest (and even if not, to be honest), I'm gonna write a bit here every day, explaining what was done on each day, giving some details to those who are interested in scleral lenses, but haven't yet made the leap. I hope it will be of use to someone. Day one is a week from today. If you have questions before, during, or after, throw 'em at me!
          There is interest. I am looking to go at end of September; am told insurance is in process. Was unsuccessful w/sclerals (& mini-sclerals) previously due to aqueous tear deficiency - after about 15 pairs of various. Giving it one more go at it. Would be very interested in hearing of your specific experience this week.

Comment

Working...
          X