X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scleral trials, need advice

Hi,

two days ago I did the first trial on scleral lenses. I posted it here: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...es-first-trial

Today I had the second and last trial. I spent almost two hours with them. I think the feedback and experience of people that wear sclerals or tried them would help me to decide if I should purchase them and give them a try for some weeks.

I read on this board about fitting process, but I think in Brazil there is no such thing like that. In my case the doctor saw the sample that has the best distance to my cornea, and that is it. There is no adjustment for comfort. He just see the prescription you need, the best distance from the cornea among the kit samples and its over. It's kind of a 'fast-food' thing. I didn't even had the chance to discuss deeply what I felt in the trials. Now I need to decide to purchase and wear them or not.

Along 1990 I tried wear contact lenses. I didn't have dry eyes, but almost always I had some kind of discomfort, so I gave up wearing them. In these short scleral lenses trials I remembered the feeling I had in 1990 when wearing the contact lenses: the discomfort, the feeling of something in the eyes, even a bad chemichal feeling or irritation.
    After removing the sclerals in these short trials, my eyes were bothering me more than before putting them. I think the sclera and the inside of the eyelids were irritated (for 'inside of the eyelids' I mean not the part where the melbomium flows out).

Today I felt the sclerals all the time when blinking and moving my eyes. It was not a pain feeling but it was not comfortable. But before two hours wearing them I felt it was hurting at a point of my sclera or eyelid, and it was not a simply discomfort, it was pain. My question is, is that normal? Wearing them for some weeks would the eyes get used to them and will they feel comfortable? (when I tried the contact lenses 23 years ago my eyes never got used to them).

The good part is that while wearing them the dry eyes burning feeling was gone. I could walk on the streets with the wind in my face, and that was awesome after one and a half year of dry eyes.
    But I don't know if the discomfort and even pain in eyelids or sclera I felt, and the feeling my eyes were irritated after removing them, means I should stop the trial here, or should I buy them and keep trying for some time.

I will be very thankfull for any advice or insight.
    Last edited by bakunin; 10-Apr-2013, 15:23.

Hi Bakunin,

My experience may not be the same as yours, but I'll try to answer your question.

First, I got fitted for Prose lenses, which was a 10 day process during which the doctor customizes fit over a series of visits. It sounds like you don't have that option in Brazil, which is unfortunate. It also sounds like you may be more intolerant of the feeling of contacts on your eye more than I am- everyone is different.

However, I will tell you that the first time the intial Prose lens was stuck on my eye my first thought was "how the heck am I ever going to get used to this???". I felt the edges. It felt totally weird when I would blink. I was dizzy from looking through a globe of water. I actually had to sit in place for the entire first fitting because walking around made me want to throw up. I had my doubts for sure.

I have gotten totally used to mine. I don't feel the edges at all now. I don't have the dizzy feeling at all. In my case I really feel like I have my normal eyes back. BUT- my fit was also customized over several visits.

I guess my advice would be to go forward. I think you have a chance of getting used to them. Also- you did state that when you wore the sclerals the burning was gone- so worst case scenario is that you can use them for a few hours at a time when you need a break from "the burn".

And- this was the case with me- you may find your eyes become more tolerant of wearing them also because your inflammation goes down and your cornea begins to heal. I have had an overall decrease in redness, pain, discomfort etc the more I wear them.

Hope this helps,
    MLE

Comment

MLE what's your diagnosis? And did you go to Boston? I have an appointment next month...

Comment

MLE, thank you very much for the reply. For sure it will help in my decision.

Comment

Working...
        X