Unisol 4 being discontinued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unisol 4 being discontinued

FYI I had been getting reports from customers in the last day or so that Unisol 4 is getting scarce or has been discontinued. I called Alcon today to get the skinny. They said yes, it is being discontinued, officially as of December this year and at this time they have no plans for a replacement.

It's already obviously fast disappearing from shelves. Those who use it... it's definitely time to stock up unless you have an acceptable alternative that you already know of.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Wow, that really sucks for anyone who depends on it! So sorry to hear about this!

Comment

I checked online yesterday and the prices are heading skyward as the supply dwindles. Great time for people to post alternative brands that have worked for them.

Comment

Personally I have been using Modudose 15mL for a long time, both with my PROSe back when and now with my EPP. I have also used Addipaks which I think are identical to Mododuse, but they only come in 3ml and 5mL and I prefer the 15mL saline size because it's fat and squatty and will stand up by itself so very handy for re-use. I keep it in a shot glass so it won't get knocked over, and can cover it with a glass.

At the risk of sounding awfully self-serving I stock them at dryeyeshop.com... I've had modudose for a long time mostly for overseas customers who have difficulty getting suitable saline, and for people to just try them out because I sell them in small quantities. I lowered the price yesterday. Addipaks seem to be much cheaper, so I'm getting some of that in as well. I'll put together a little sample pack of the various types once I get the Addipaks, so that people can try them out without having to buy a case. It's most cost effective to get a case from a medical supplies outfitter.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca!

Comment

I posted about the discontinuation of unisol 4 about a week ago so I hope everyone stocked up at the lower price! I have not had any luck with the inhalation solution in my PROSe lens but will try the sample pack when it comes into the shop. Thank you!
            Last edited by Amyfloor; 07-Oct-2015, 11:42. Reason: Wrong info

Comment

Oh I see that now, Amy, thank you! Funny, I searched on unisol first and it didn't come up, but I'm still getting used to the upgraded software (and it needs a lot of tweaking....)
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

BFS are recommending sodium chloride (eg Addipak, Modudose etc) for filling PROSE and Simply Saline for rinsing, but not Simply Saline (pending trials) for filling because of bubble potential.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

I just now saw this thread. Nooooooooooooooo

Comment

I ordered Puri Lens Plus a couple of weeks ago, which someone had mentioned could be used instead of Unisol 4 but I haven't received it yet. Has anyone tried Puri Lens Plus? Has anyone been able to successfully order it? I'm afraid there is going to be a run on every product that can replace Unisol.

Comment

Hi,
                      I ordered and received 12 bottles. It is exactly like unisol thank goodness as I cannot use anything else in my scleral lenses

Comment

Just an update on Unisol and Purilens: All going well so far, everyone seems to find it identical to Unisol 4. I've been experimenting with economy packs to keep the shipping costs down... I find that the flatrate priority mail boxes from the post office are a better deal than ground shipping (especially to residential addresses). Also there have been a lot of anxious scleral lens users who want it overnighted and we've had pretty good luck overnighting through the post office (priority mail express) which is about half the cost of Fedex and goes on the same plane.

For those that can tolerate the straight sodium chloride vials and don't necessarily need the buffered saline, they're sometimes keeping costs down by buying Simply Saline Contact Lenses locally and using it to rinse their sclerals/PROSE and getting the sodium chloride vials exclusively for filling (addipaks are really cheap and have about the right amount).
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                        X